Sign in to follow this  

Question for Rim Mashers

After a month of MX, the rims on my CRF are starting to look like stop signs. I suppose that's the price we all pay for wheels that are lighter than a YZ 125's (per recent mag article). Anyhoo, time for an upgrade.

Excels seem like the obvious choice, but I'm wondering about some of the other options for a CRF. The U-shaped DIDs that came on some of the KX's in recent years look great, but are they strong? A wheel builder told me they have been discontinued. Are those Pro Wheels really an upgrade, or are they just cheap bling? Any luck with Sun?

Personally stick with Excels. The Pro wheels are OK. I have seen them break in line with the spokes. That is just my 2cents. :banghead:

I bought a complete set from Pro Wheel and they are heavy duty. It has stainless steel spokes and nipples. The owner is an engineer, did his own design, has the parts outsourced, then he and a couple a guys lace them up. My only advice is to tighten the spokes after each ride the first 3-4 rides. The only drawback to them is they are quite a bit heavier than stock.