Sign in to follow this  

Stupid question: has anyone used undercoating on thier frame?

Or something similar like the spray in bedliner stuff? I know that sounds ghetto but I'm wondering it if holds up well, it couldn't add all that much weight...probably less than 1 pound if you don't lay it on too thick. Opinions?

I know bedliner material has been used for grip to some success. Obviously you have to follow the manufacturer's directions for surface prep if you expect anything to stick for some length of time.

I figure it's worth a try, if it falls off you can always buy some trusty grip tape (which falls off eventually).

I know bedliner material has been used for grip to some success. Obviously you have to follow the manufacturer's directions for surface prep if you expect anything to stick for some length of time.

I figure it's worth a try, if it falls off you can always buy some trusty grip tape (which falls off eventually).

I'm not that concerned with the gripping value of it, more with the scratch resistance and overall durability of it. It would be nice to have a frame that the paint doesn't rub off so easily. I've considered powdercoating but I was thinking of this as an easier do it myself alternative.

I have my 05 YZ250F frame powdercoated black. It took about 30 hours to wear off where my boats are. Which is a lot better considering the stock paint lasts about 1 ride.

Uh, yeah, it will work but it's gonna look fugly soon enough anyway :banghead:

Scratches and gouges immediately. Won't be smooth either.

How about airplane paint? It's much tougher than regular paint. Expensive though.

I can't remember the official names though :applause:

You could just get frame guards. That would stop most of the boot on frame wear. :banghead: