Sign in to follow this  

are wr's and more reliable than yzf's?

i was think of buying a used bike 01-02 probably. ive heard lots of stories about people yzf's costing lots of money to maintain. are wr250f any less maintence and/or more reliable??

i was think of buying a used bike 01-02 probably. ive heard lots of stories about people yzf's costing lots of money to maintain. are wr250f any less maintence and/or more reliable??

They're the same as a YZF in that respect. Neither are that expensive to maintain but they're expensive to repair, if something catastrophic happens.

My 03 yz250f is very inexpensive to maintain. Just cleaning, greasing and oil changes, etc. But yes, the 4 stroke is expensive to repair if something major happens to it.

I have both and the WR is way more reliable than the YZF. Also i think it is cheap to do regular maintance on the WR.

And how, may I ask, did you come to this conclusion?

same motor buddy should cost the same and like everyone else said its cheap basically oil, and oil filters

Most of the part numbers are the same for both bikes.

The rumors you heard were completely false.

I'm still waiting to hear the theory behind this:

I have both and the WR is way more reliable than the YZF. Also i think it is cheap to do regular maintance on the WR.

should make for a good laugh.

I own a yz250f and have never even ridden a wr but I am willing to bet that the detuning that the wr has from the factory probably makes it slightly more reliable just because the engine has somewhat less strain placed on it. If this is true though it probably is only a negligable difference and shouldnt effect which one you purchase.

i dont know which would be more reliable to own but i had a complete rebuild on my 05 wr and it cost me 1206.00 bucks and they cut me a deal on the parts at their cost!!

i know that if you are looking for power go with the yz because it takes a lot of time and work to open up the wr's to make them run like the yz, but once you open it up it makes a whole new bike out of the wr.

A wr might seem like less maintenance, only because the rider who owns it doesn't ride like a rider who owns a yz. I'm not trying to start anything so let me better describe what I am trying to say....

Kinda like a kid who uses a yz for racing will have less life out of his bike compared to an old guy who just putts around the woods.

They are pretty much equal bikes motor wise. The one that is ridden harder will have more maintenance than one that is not, period. See what I am saying?

i can see how you would do MORE maintenance on a yzf if it were raced as a opposed to a WR which was only a trail rider, but the expenses are the same they dont put prices up as soon as they see you have yz in front of your 250f

i dont know which would be more reliable to own but i had a complete rebuild on my 05 wr and it cost me 1206.00 bucks and they cut me a deal on the parts at their cost!!

What happend to your 2005 WR?

I'm still waiting to hear the theory behind this:

should make for a good laugh.

They are bread from the exact same mold. I personally feel that a WR is generally going to be more reliable that a YZ, simply based upon the fact that the majority of WR owners are older adults, so therefore the mantinence is better. I am NOT implying that all kids don't do maintenence, but I race and practice with probably 15 different kids from 14 to 20, and all those kids could care less about maintenence. A far more important issue with kids, is "whats up for Sat. night with thier girlfriend" syndrome, or "I don't have any money". If a YZ and a WR are equally maintained, there will be absolutely no difference in relibility. (strictly my observations, and opinions)

OK, for all you guys saying that a WR is more reliable than a YZF because it's not ridden as hard or because it's more choked down, that's irrelevant. What are the first things that most people do to a WR? All the free mods that uncork it. And to say that a WR generally isn't ridden as hard doesn't matter, the comparison is of equal circumstances. If the same person owns a WR and a YZF and rides them equally and on the same terrain the maintenance will be the same.

OK, for all you guys saying that a WR is more reliable than a YZF because it's not ridden as hard or because it's more choked down, that's irrelevant. What are the first things that most people do to a WR? All the free mods that uncork it. And to say that a WR generally isn't ridden as hard doesn't matter, the comparison is of equal circumstances. If the same person owns a WR and a YZF and rides them equally and on the same terrain the maintenance will be the same.

Agreed, another good comment. I have raced a few enduros, and let me say what the WR would lack in redline rpm's during and enduro, it far suceeds a MX raced YZ as far as being driven through 6 hours straight of the most nasty 2 foot deep swamp water, mud and rock laiden terrain you can imagine.

Consider the use. If either bike is used on the track or riden very hard, the expense is realitive. If the same rider rides both a WR and YZF, the maintenance expense would be the same. The bikes are virtually the same. Did it smell like marijuana in the room you heard this in?

TC