Sign in to follow this  

'78 TT500 Needs Tires

Anybody have any advice as to a good, modern "all-around" tire for my 1978 TT? What sizes do I need? I have one source that says 300X21-Front and 460X18-Rear but those numbers don't jive with the measurements I see for most retailers products available nowadays. Any help is appreciated.

I like IRC GP-110's for 50/50 tires, and Pirellis for 20s/80d tires. Modern size conversions would be 80/100x21 and 100/100x18 , however I'd run a larger rear tire like a 110/100x18 or a 120/90x18.

OriginalDirt

Thanks much for the info. If I elect to go with a bigger tire on the back would I be able to fit it on my OEM rim? What about clearance with the swingarm, etc.? THANKS!

I probably should have clarified that what I meant by "all around" tires was all around in the dirt, mud, sand. I do NOT ride this bike on the street (except to get it to the dirt, which sometimes might be down the road a bit! :banghead: )

OK, depending on how much you want to spend...that's the real question. I ran S-12 & M-12 on mine for racing, but for trail riding you could save a little money and run some IRC Volcanduro's , a 80/100-21 up front and a 120/80-18 or 110/100-18 in the back. :banghead:

I also tried the S-12 or M-12 for racing. Good tire when new but wears fast.

My favorite is the Metzeler MC 5. Very durable with good handling characteristics.

Have also tried the Volcanduro and hated it.