Sign in to follow this  

Looking For Help on a 95' LC4 640 MXC

I just bought a 95' LC4 640 RXC. It has around 5k on it and it is in great condition. I am still getting used to kicking over big bore single cylinders which seems to be a pain in the leg, but I will learn to love it im sure :banghead:

Anyways there are a few things on this bike that I am going to try to fix or address before I start riding it hard.

1. The bike does not like to shift into neutral unless it is turned off or slightly rolling forward. I figured it was probably a worn out clutch plate for something to that nature... any ideas?

2. When I have the bike Idling at a stop it dies if I don't give it a good amount of gas. I figured I would turn the new mikuni carb up a bit. I was told by the previous owner that it might die because the clutch is worn a bit, but that does not make a ton of sense considering it was in neutral when it died.

3. And lastly I had it up to 65mph and when I parked it last night I noticed 4 drops of oil this morning underneath the front chain sproket. Looks to be leaking a small amount, maybe a sprocket seal???

Anyones help would be great. I would also not mind knowing of any good KTM mechanics in the greater seattle area, prefferably south of seattle by renton or kent. I am hoping to do most of the mechanics myself as I am capable just not knowledgable. Thats why there is Thumper Talk right!!!

Ok thanks all hope to get some replies out of my first post.

1. The bike does not like to shift into neutral unless it is turned off or slightly rolling forward. I figured it was probably a worn out clutch plate for something to that nature... any ideas?

Either that or mis-adjusted. I had a '93 400 I bought used and had the friggin clutch apart 4 times (and parts replaced) before I figured out the plate stack was in wrong. I was just putting it back the same way I took it out and finally figured the prior owner had put it in wrong. It was a frustrating (and expensive) lesson.

2. When I have the bike Idling at a stop it dies if I don't give it a good amount of gas. I figured I would turn the new mikuni carb up a bit. I was told by the previous owner that it might die because the clutch is worn a bit, but that does not make a ton of sense considering it was in neutral when it died.

R&R the carb & check valves.

3. And lastly I had it up to 65mph and when I parked it last night I noticed 4 drops of oil this morning underneath the front chain sproket. Looks to be leaking a small amount, maybe a sprocket seal???

That or simply too much chain lube??

Ask on advrider.com for KTM shops in WA. There's quite a few thumper riders from there that will help you out.

Sweet thanks alot. I spoke with a KTM dealer today and got the advice on the plate stack order for the Clutch System so I will put that on the too do list. The chain is very well lubed so that might be the issue I will keep a close eye on it and see if anything changes with time and riding.

The carb deal is already fixed, but I have a different question that seems to be common with this bike. How in the world do you get your carb setup so it will do a happy hot start. I am sick of waiting 4-5 minutes for it to cool down and then dumping gas in to get the bike to start... any idea on that one. Other than that I am stoked on this machine, all the fuss I have heard about the relative size of this bike is non sense. Then maybe I am just bigger then the average person, I am happy none the less.

Thanks for the help Velocibiker

Does anyone know what kind of Carb's have a hotshot for kicking the bike over when it is already hot. I am getting really sick of riding and being stuck if the bike dies for like 20 minutes until it cools down. Any suggestions... It has a new mikuni carb but I am not seeing any hotshot type buttons on it.

By the way I guess I messed up the thread on accident.

The bike is a 620 not a 640, you all probably knew that though.

I have a 1995 KTM 620. I had the same problem as you with starting. I used to kick the bike for hours and I hated the bike with a passion. I finally talked to edelbrock and purchased the New pumper series carb from edelbrock. you don't need to worry anymore about hard starting. I can start my bike hot or cold in two kicks.

As for getting the bike into neutral I have noticed my bike has the same problem. Let me know if you find anything out about it.