Sign in to follow this  

Loss of a parent

Last week I lost my mom to cancer. She was only 57 years old which is young by my standards. She faught hard going through multiple surgeries. She kept a sense of humor about things until her last days. Why am I posting this here? My mom was the one to buy me my first bike. She was the one to drive me to Carnegie when I was a little kid. She would sit at the car and read a magazine and watch me buzz around on my YZ 80. She knew how much I love to ride. Now I am 37 and have three daughters. She spent many days watching them ride their bikes and taking pictures at Carnegie. We camped there often and had a ton of wonderful time together. Unfortunately It wasn't enough, we all miss her alot. She was my best friend. I now look through the photos she had taken of all of us and wished we had taken more of her. I luckily had got to spend alot of quality time with her the last few months. We are all glad to have the time with her we did and are thankful that she knew what a wonderful mom we thought she was.

Rakkno,

I am sorry for your loss. Mom's that do it right are special - from what you wrote your Mom did it right! I know how you feel, this Saturday, October 1 it will be 26 years since my Mom died. She was 56 when she died, three days after her 56th birthday. I was devastated when she died, but I have learned to cherish those special memories and I am thankful that I have them. Hang in there my friend.

In Sympathy,

Mike Berg

"Motodad393"

Thank you for your warm Thoughts. Expressing my thoughts make me feel better.

Next week we are headed to Gorman to ride with a bunch of the family. Should be a good time and it will be nice to have everyone around. I am sure my mom will be with us.......Rick

I just turned 38 and I lost my mom when I was 25 to a tear in her carodid artery which is basically a stroke. Raising my sisters and I was her main goal in life which she basically completed. It sucks she never got to see us get married and have kids.

My thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear it Rick. I lost my Dad in 98, he was 63, 2 years into his retirement.

Have a lot of regrets about moving 2000 miles away when my parents got divorced.

Sounds like she was a great mom, you have the memories. Make more

with your family, that is all we have left other then photographs and material things.

However her material things will become much more then material to you.

This hits home........ I'm 39 and up till 3 months ago I was still riding with my mom! She is undergoing radiation treatment now and I hope to ride with her again........

Keep it up, I got the feeling she's still watching you and your kids ride :banghead:

Don,

The fact that they have your mom doing radiation is good. My mom wasn't well enough after her surgery to try anything else. My prayers are with you and your family. (this is no BS I actually said one for you) Take care and keep positive thoughts....Rick

Thank you all for the thoughts and sympathy for my family.....Happy trails :banghead:

My sympathies to you. I lost my mom (and best friend) to a car crash on 92 in Belmont when I was 16. It's been almost 20 years and I am now the same age as she was. I still miss her! Point is, you never fully get over it so try to channel your thoughts of her to all the positive influences that she had on you (sounds like you are already doing that :banghead: ). Good luck and remember that while 57 is still too young to pass, you were a blessed with 57 years with her.

rakkno ,

thanks for posting this thread. I am 31 and lost my father to cancer on july 3rd, 2005 at the age of 61. It has been hard on my family as you know. I was finally able to get back on my bike and take my dad for a ride with me. That was the greatest ride and rejunvenated my love of this sport and the people that do it. My prayers go out to all of you.

-john

rakkno ,

thanks for posting this thread. I am 31 and lost my father to cancer on july 3rd, 2005 at the age of 61. It has been hard on my family as you know. I was finally able to get back on my bike and take my dad for a ride with me. That was the greatest ride and rejunvenated my love of this sport and the people that do it. My prayers go out to all of you.

-john

Hello John,

You are right - you will find that most of the time your rides are not "solo" and the experience is one you never forget and few understand - unless they know the feeling! Hang in there and enjoy riding with your Dad! :banghead:

Best Regards,

Michael Berg

"Motodad393"

There is no greater loss than that of a parent or a child.

I am sorry for your loss and wish health and happiness for those that are grieving.

Cherish those memories and share your stories.

I check this post regularly and really want to thank you all. Your thoughts really warm my heart. My step dad and brother have recently read this and got a bit teary eyed. I know I may never meet most of you but since we all ride I guess that makes us family. Thank you Motodad393 for starting this forum, it really is a wonderful thing. It has helped the healing for me and my family. It has given me a place to vent my feelings and open my heart which is not something I do often. Thanks all....Rick Novotny of Oakdale....

Rick:

I absolutely do not want to make light of your Mom's death, for I am sure it is tough to lose a parent no matter your age. I was 7 when my Mom died. I have some memories of her, but not nearly enough. Just a little nudge to remind you to embrace all the good things and be grateful for everything you shared. Your Mom sounds like she was a wonderful supportive Mom. Though it might not feel like it right now, you were very lucky to have her there with you all that time.

Big Hugs to you and your family.

PS: Chewy is a girl so <HUGS> are cool:)