Sign in to follow this  

help re-open thurston county ORV park

this was posted earlier today by dirtcheapjohn over at KTMtalk.

We are helping to re-open the Thurston Grays Harbor ORV Sports Park, located 15 miles west of Olympia Washington or 2 miles east of McCleary on Highway 8. The park is located exactly on the county line, that is how the park got it's original name as it "straddles" the line. Take Cooper Road, approx 200 yards east of the county line signs, the park is to the south, you can see it from Highway 8, as of now there is no park sign.

Volunteer Work Parties are 8AM till dark, this Sat and Sun, OCT 1st and 2nd. Please bring any equipment you have such as weed wackers, lawn mowers, chainsaws, brush hogs, etc.

You may contact me to sign up for the work party.

HISTORY: Thurston Grays Harbor ORV Sports Park, which operated privately as Straddle line from 1970 to 1977 and as the Sports Park since 1978 was closed Nov 30, 2002, the park has a non-conforming land use status. The grandfather expires 3 years after closure or this Nov 30th. To keep the non-conforming land use status we must operate the park for 1 month. Our first event is scheduled for Oct 8.

Thurston Co signed a quit claim deed for their part of the park to Grays Harbor Co last week. Commissioner Bob Beerbower - Grays Harbor Co, Tom Fite - park manager, Ed Bushnell -AMA, Angie Merek - Moonshiners 4X4 club, myself and others have been working on getting this park re-opened. We had 50 volunteers on Sat Sept 24 and about 35 on Sun the 25th, we got much accomplished, but there is still much to do.

Please help us keep this park open by meeting the 30 day requirement for the non-conforming land use.

This is a multi-use park, for motorcycles, quads, jeeps, 4X4s, with motocross, flattrack, drags, obstacle course, and trails... It is also a major trail head for the Capitol Forest.

I would also be interested in help with a peewee beginer poker run on the weekend of Oct 29, 30.

Thank you,

John Eaton

dirtbike@hctc.com

360-427-3478