2003 DRZ400E Idling Issues

Hello,

Have a 2003 DRZ400E with a stock engine (142 main/45 pilot, snorkel still in). When the idle is just on the border of being too low (Only dies once and a while) everything is fine, but once the idle is turned up to normal it hangs high then comes back down. The adjustment seemed a bit funky (Took about a full turn to get a change).

I pulled the carb apart, checked for bad seals, cleaned the jets and rest of the carb, no change. Plugged off the vacuum input to carb, no change, cables checked, no issues.

Very strange, almost seems like there is a problem with the slide plate.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

MAC

You description is characteristic of lean idle. Try adjusting the mixture screw. If it is stock setting, it is 1.5 truns. Try it at 2 to 2.5. I know, it is hard to reach.

The off idle transition is a problem with many DRZ's. Mine is much better but not perfect. It will slow idle cold after maybe 30 sec of choke on. But not respond well to the throttle untill full warm, maybe 5 min. A 48 pilot jet may be the answer for you. I have tried everythig over the years and no mater what, there is still a spot just off idle that the motor is ratty. But it can be tuned to be much better than what you have now.

You really should rejet it. Mine with stock jetting was just about impossible to ride, it would die almost everytime it went to idle and if not then it would whenever I blipped the throttle to lift the front end.

I also ended up removing my coast enricher when it started to mess up on me. With the right jetting the bog/hesistation can be eliminated, on some bikes at least. Mine no longer has that issue, in fact mine seems to be jetted fairly good right now.

Thanks for the info, I know the snorkel needs to go (Which will lean things up). I will start with the air screw (Need to be richer?) and go from there. I usually start jetting after a pipe change, but if this bike is lean from the start it makes sense.

Thanks

i have a 2003 DRZ400S (stock engine) that a high idle when the engine is warm. while the engine is cold, the idle seems to be just fine, puttering along at a slow and steady pace.

is this also a lean condition?

i just bought it two weeks ago and it's kinda tough to ride on trails with such a high idle since it's going at such a fast pace.

thanks for any help.

mary.

You can adjust the idle with the black (or at least I think it is black on the cv carb) knob near the carb. A high idle that stays high is not necessarily an indicator of a lean condition. A hanging idle, or one that hangs and then drops is.

hmm, thanks for the quick reply... would the idle need adjusting if it starts and runs fine for the first half hour or so?

i haven't had to mess with carbs in a while and even then, i didn't do much besides sync them every so often.

what would cause a high idle that doesn't go down by itself? if i try to stall the bike (hold the brake, ease out the clutch, and then squeeze the clutch back in), the normal idle comes back. but of course, on any other bike, (KLR, VFR, etc), this same process would cause the bike to stall.

a little lost here. :banghead:

m.

Just a quick update,

Took some suggestions from the site feedback (Thanks), installed a 48 pj, 152 main, 2 turns on the fuel screw and removed the snorkel. That brought the idle to normal and made the bike run smoother. It seems to need to be richer, but I am going to wait until I get a different pipe before adjusting anything else, riding it is the priority.

See ya

MAC