Sign in to follow this  

KLX good for Motorcross??

Okay so hear is the deal: I bought a 05' KLX300r as my first bike and started riding it at the local motorcross track. Soon after I gave the KLX to my dad and bought me a CRF250R since I figured I like riding track a lot and the fact that its about 5min's from my house.

So now me and dad ride about every weekend and he is getting more and more aggressive with the KLX. So what im wondering is what can I do to the KLX to make it more motorcross worthy without worrying that he is going to kill himself?

Im thinking suspension setup for his weight first. Dunno what else. It has the Dyno jet kit and can deffinatly pull away from me on my 250 in the straights. So I dont think its lacking power. Is the KLX a motorcross worthy bike or should we be looking for another bike?

Thanks

If all of your dads riding will be MX, he should get another bike.

Suspension is the first thing that should be set up for your dads weight, riding style, and terrain. But don't expect miracles on the MX track. The KLX300 can be set up to be competitive in hare scrambles.

Ride on

Brewster

Well the track we ride at is nothing fancy. Its a table tops that are about 15-20ft in length. He just wants to be able to get a little air and clear some of the table tops.

Even the desert/baja KLX frames cracked. Mine is a Team Green bike of old and has been welded up in the right places (top wishbone area) for strength. Still wouldn't/couldn't conceive it a mx bike. Thats like racing an XR 650 in moto. :applause: Brutal comes to mind. :banghead: Steny

You can motoX anything, alot will be in the suspension setup, now will it be the best, no way, but if he's just looking to have some fun, for sure, 10 years ago, I raced a 1985 xr350 in the 35 yr vet class against mainly 250 kx, and cr's I did fairly well often 3rd place in a class of 10 riders and did take 1st with it on several races (mud races), 5 years ago I raced my new DRZ400

in the 40+ class, again I raced against alot of 2 stroke 250's and YZ400F,

same results . mainly 3rd, alot is the rider knowing what his abilities and his bikes abilities are, and I will tell you the KLX is far better than the XR350 or the DRZ, 10 years ago I watched Dick Burelson (spelling?) 7 time enduro champ absolutly smoke everyone on a 1995 klx250 which had a thumper 280 kit in it, in the 250 class at our local motoX track, Compared to the new 4 strokes it will lack, but a few years back alot of guys beefed it up and did very well with it, they liked the feel of the stiffer frame and it's quick turning ability. I can easily do a 30 ft double with my son's klx300, it's all about knowing how much gas on the jump face, rider position and where to land it.

My vintage 1987 TT350 will also do it no problem. alot is what the rider is capable of. If he just wants to have some fun, beef up the suspension, go a tooth lower on the front sprocket, get some good bars, and have a blast.

Borsy

I really like my KLX and it will hang with or outperform the YZ250F's, CRF250's, and even DRZ400's in offroad situations; however, I can't imagine it being competitive or fun to ride on an MX track. I had mine on one once and I can do table tops and small doubles, but it seems real heavy and if that's all I was using it for, I'd get a lighter, faster reving, YZ250F.