Sign in to follow this  

Trip Planning, Baha

A buddy and I have been planing a trip to Baja for 21 days for the past couple months and were looking for some advice. We plan to avoid the pavement as much as possible.

Recommendations on Tires, He is running MT21, and I have D606 and where not sure if they'll make it through the trip. Suggestions? He just ordered a Michelin Desert?

Tanks, I have a stock tank right now, and it just won't do for long range, but I Like the narrow fit and don't really want a 4 gal tank. So I'm curious what works for you guys and what range are you getting. I have being Eying up Burned's Tank, IMS team 2.6 gal, I love the look of that tank but it's no bigger than mine. Alternatives, portable methods(fuel bottles)?????

Packing methods, suggestions on cheap affective methods. (21 days in Baja)

Finally, I recently did the 3x3, Yosh RS3 full system, with 14/47 and Dyno jet. Replaced the spring, clip at postion 4, stock main jet and pilot fuel screw 3 turns out(eeehh). I ride at sea level to 2500' and the bike runs well, no bogging or hesitation but I am burning through fuel like mad. I'm switching to reserve at around 75 miles, where as before it was at around 120 miles. That isn't normal is it? I'm pulling the wheel up more and riding harder,(the bike no longer sounds like it'll explode like it did with the stock set up)but I didn't think the bike would burn through fuel that fast. :banghead:

I've pulled the carb out to see if I did everything right, and everything seems fine, but I can't figure it out. I didn't change the pilot jet since the FCR carb is on the way and figured I'd save some cash and just turn the fuel screw out 3x and hope it ran OK for now.

Also, with the potential of getting not so good fuel out in the middle of nowhere, would you leave the Mikuni in for the trip or put FCR in and not worry.

Thanks for all your help :applause:

Your best bet for Baja info is to post this in the CA forum. And if you spell it Baha, they will make a lot of fun of you. Its Baja. :banghead:

If you've got a gps you can check my site below.

many people have posted route and sometime has gas information.

A buddy and I have been planing a trip to Baja for 21 days. ---- Just curious. Why 21 days? Some days off from riding?

We plan to avoid the pavement as much as possible. -----OK, but you can't do that entirely. Will you have a knowledgeable guide? Will you have a support vehicle? Which ever way you go, you have to plan accordingly.

Recommendations on Tires, He is running MT21, and I have D606---- Either are fine.

and we're not sure if they'll make it through the trip---- How hard do you ride? How many miles will you go? They lasted me for a 10 day trip of 1800 miles. Others could go thru a rear tire in a day. Have fun, don't push too hard and tires will last but you must carry spare tubes and know where you can get replacement tires and tubes if/when you need them if you do not have a support truck.

Tanks, I have a stock tank right now, and it just won't do for long range, but I Like the narrow fit and don't really want a 4 gal tank. ---- If you have good guide he can find gas every 100 miles. 120 mile range is all you need. If you are on your own, be prepared to go 200 miles.

Packing methods, suggestions on cheap effective methods. (21 days in Baja)---- buy/build side bags and throw a bag over the seat. Luggage will slow you down. Travel light but carry emergency stuff you might need.

Finally, I recently did the 3x3, Yosh RS3 full system, with 14/47 and Dyno jet. Replaced the spring, clip at position 4, stock main jet and pilot fuel screw 3 turns out(eeehh). I ride at sea level to 2500' and the bike runs well, no bogging or hesitation but I am burning through fuel like mad. ----- 14/47 is ok. but you can gear 15/47 for improved range. I went with 15/46. Some of Baja is higher than 2500. I would use a 140 or 138 main, try the needle on clip 3, and don't ride so hard. It is a foreign country without a lot of emergency services. You do not want to get hurt in Baja. You can have a lot of fun in Baja without killing yourself. The fun in Baja is exploring and being mostly on your own. There is much better riding elsewhere.

I've pulled the carb out to see if I did everything right, and everything seems fine, but I can't figure it out. I didn't change the pilot jet since the FCR carb is on the way and figured I'd save some cash and just turn the fuel screw out 3x and hope it ran OK for now. -----OK. (You saved $3.00??) The stock pilot jet will be fine.

Also, with the potential of getting not so good fuel out in the middle of nowhere, would you leave the Mikuni in for the trip or put FCR in and not worry.----Either carb gets the same mileage. All depends on how you ride it.

Just got back from Mike's Sky Rancho last week, which BTW, should be on your itinerary!

Bring lots of $1 bills if using US currency since nobody carries change for those fresh ATM $20s.

If using GPS, check out BAJA "Expeditioner" TOPO Map from either http://www.lbmaps.com/ or the source, http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/baja_gps_map.htm. If going with paper maps, try http://www.baja-almanac.com/.

I would go for a larger tank like a Clarke. I didn't have one and it sucks having to worry about gas all the time.

When are you doing this trip? My buddy and I are heading down Nov. 25 -Dec. 11 (about 16 days). We've been planning this trip for a while too and plan on going all the way to Cabo. We're going to do as much dirt as possible too; parts of the 2004 Baja 1000 course is likely, as is Mike's. If you are headed down around the same time, maybe we can meet up?

As for gear, here's a few things we doing; untested yet, but recommended by others:

Tire:s D606 for the rear; Perelli MT 18 front tire (after researching recommendations on this forum)

Luggage: Dirt Bagz; Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag, fenderbag, toolbag,and carryall (number plate bag); camelbak for water

navigation: GPS and Baja-Almanac

Gas Tank: I have the Acerbis 4.2 gallon for my DRZ which doesn't feel any more bulky than my IMS 3.2 gal. It's the extra weight that you have to get used to, not really the size. I get about 150 miles on a full tank if I take it easy; less if I'm hammering it. My buddy has the IMS 4 gal on his XR400 and his bike seems to suck more gas than mine.

Tool/necessities: spare tubes, irons, bike pump, patch, etc; took kit, spare cables, master link, air filter, plug, siphon hose, jb weld putty, spare goggle lense, etc

Camp: Kelty wing tarp; Montbell #7 SS down (about the size of a windbreaker folded up - tiny!); We're planning on a combo of beach camping and hotels.; windbreaker; light fleece.

Shoot me a PM is you want to pick each other brain, or meet up. We're driving down from Colorado.