Sign in to follow this  

Err Point timing!

Replacing points they are burnt. I hear this can be tricky.

I pulled the flywheel, i took off the old points. Now what? Also how to time?

It's actually real easy. Pull the flywheel, inspect the springs on the advancer on the other side of the flywheel. If I remember (it's be been ten years) it's only one screw for the points. Then you put the flywheel back on (with impact) and adjust the points through the hole in the flywheel. Set them between .012 and .016" and try and start it.

Replace the points, making sure to get the wire in the same spot on the screw (in relation to the small washers and insulators).

Once the flywheel is back on and tight, you set the timing, or when the points open.

Very slowly turn the flywheel in the direction the motor spins while running, the points should just begin open as the pointer mark on the case lines up with the F mark on the flywheel.

To tell when they begin to open you use a battery power continuity light or buzzer. One lead connected to the point wire and the other to ground.

Do not worry about the gap, this is unimportant when using new points.

On used points, you set them to open at the F mark, then measure the gap when they are open to their widest position.

If the gap is not at least .012 to .016, the rubbing block is too worn and the points need to be replaced.

I must have it wrong then. Before replacing points i had a weak spark. After replacing i get spark but no start.

By time you are done with this bike you will be an expert on rebuilding these little things :banghead:

I must have it wrong then. Before replacing points i had a weak spark. After replacing i get spark but no start.

Is the spark at the right time?

You can double check the timing by hooking up a automotive type timing light to an external 12v battery and with the clip around the spark plug lead.

Shine the light (as you kick it over) at the pointer and F mark to see if you have it timed correctly.

Yeah i am taking a little break. Alot of things happening this weekand. Hunting,Boxing matches, ETC... Start on it monday.