Sign in to follow this  

Valve springs/Cost

How are aftermarket valve spring kits so much money compared to stock.Stock are 3 dollars each and aftermarket are around 250 to 300 for a set.Are they made out of gold.

OEM Rules!

Nah go OEM, mainitain your bike right and they're fine...

I've a 2004 model totally stock all OEM parts even airfilters, still on all it's original valves, probably 60 hours use, just installed OEM piston, one reshim, still running great!

I believe RHC's springs are $180. Better quality than stock.

your absolutley right$ and they also work with the most sever cams with only a 1-2 # decrease in pressue after a whole season of racing a typical oem ex spring can loose up to 8 #s of pressure.

yes but the valves dont loose clearance and cup like the intakes but the seats do widen to twice there normal width .

I took my head in and the machinist says they use Yamaha OEM springs (not sure what part #) but he also has the Ferreas if I want to use them. Anybody heard of this? What should I do? I have decided to go with SS valves as well. Got 500 miles from the stock ones. Gotta try something different.

That is very interesting.Also I got on Pro x"s web site and they sell i guess there own springs(very exspencive)Ti and stainless valves.I wonder if the yamaha springs are the same size but just alittle stronger at a good cost.I will have find out,Thanks.

You have to understand that making the perfect valve spring for these new four strokes is a costly adventure. A ton of R&D and money goes into this kind of development. Plus when a supplier is making tens of thousands of anything for the factory they can get their cost way down because of the volume.

It's kind of like medication, it only cost pennies for the pill but the money it took to get to production has to be made up some how.

Some of the springs available like the Conical springs, are also completely different and it takes different techniques to wind them. You cant even compare the cost when it comes to this type of technology.

Let's just be happy that there are companies out there that are doing this type of stuff so we have an alternative to the poor quality stock parts.