Sign in to follow this  

Cheap 230 mods

you can take out the airbox snorkel unlees you do a lot of water riding and exaust baffle rejet it and a sidewinder 428 chain conversion kit

Power up kit, 12 tooth sprocket, spacers in the forks.

YEAH, A SMALLER SPROKET WILL HELP SPEED IT UP. :banghead: try going to a 48t sprocket. the 230 cant accept a larger frnt unless u do some cutting.

will jetting the 450X be similar to jetting the 230???

We have yet to do this to either, so I guess you could say we are newbies to this. Thanks for all of your help!!

Northern Gurl,

Yes, it’s similar. The biggest difference in the two is the X is a pumper carb (it has a squirt jet, squirts extra fuel when the throttle is turned quick) the 230's is not. The squirt duration is fine on those so you don’t need to fool with it. You'll gain a lot more power uncorking & re-jetting percentage wise than the X will re-jetting. The big change on the X will be throttle response.

As far as your first question goes, the best thing you can do for speed is work on suspension. Number one IMO opinion is to get the works rear shock & I also have an aluminum rear sprocket (it's a Moose brand but think it's made by TAG) which is a couple pounds lighter than the stock (helps get the wheel down quicker). Going on 3 seasons & it looks like it'll be good for 6 more. This combo really helped the bikes poise at high speed. Enough, that I gained at least 5 MPH in the rough stuff. If you feel like you're in control you'll ride faster. Suspension is the key. I already had Race Tech emulators in the forks which improved the front end some but not to the degree that Works improved the rear.

1. Uncork & re-jet. Per the sticky. The offroad.com article has nice picks but don’t remove the end cap. Just take the T25 torx & remove the one screw holding the baffle in place & yank it out..

2. Adjust your race sag.

3. Heavier oil in forks. It’s a cheap & easy way to slow the rebound up front. This might help: click here

4. Better tires.

5. Works rear shock.

These mods (above) will give you more control. Going faster is up to you.

These mods (below) will not help you go faster IMO:

Mega $$ Exhaust system. Before Exhaust I'd go big bore kit & cam. A LOT more HP for your $$$!

Stickers.

Gearing it down. Stick with 50 tooth rear sprocket. I have stock counter sprocket & 51 tooth rear. I’m 225bs I needed that extra tooth. :applause: It'll pull me up anything traction will allow.

:banghead:

well what i would do is get different springs for front and back if you do anykind of serios jumping even though i jump 70' on my stock 150 definetly get different tires i remember the only thing the stock pirellies are good for is burnouts :banghead: (5 minute 3rd gear burnout left a 3" rut in the pavement)

oh yeah also get the sidewinder 428 conversion kit people say that it makes a bigger difference than a big bore and also i found a good combonation of tires is a michelin starcross in front and a maxxis maxcross IT in back michelins wear out pretty fast but good traction and super cheap and the maxxis will last forever and good traction

oh yeah also get the sidewinder 428 conversion kit people say that it makes a bigger difference than a big bore

Who says? That's just kids talking that are stoked about their new purchase. You get about the same reduction in mass by just going to an aluminum sprocket ($50) & you get to keep the more durable stock chain.

Components with lighter rotating mass will give the bike a little more snap on the bottom which is desirable on the track but not so much on trail.

If you want even more snap there is shaving the flywheel & getting a 19" rear wheel. The 19" wheel is barely heavier than the 18" but the 19" tire is a lot lighter. I wont be doing either of these however. I like running the lower presser in the 18 than you do the 19s. The taller 18" tire absorbs more sharp bumps & helps keep the tire on the ground longer. Not much can be shaved off the flywheel anyway but I still wouldn't bother. My choice is for the lighter rear sprocket as that has the most effect on the rear suspensions performance.

I think it's unrealistic to expect a lighter chain to increase performance the same or better than the real horspower & torque gains gained from a big bore kit. :applause:

Hey Gurl!

I left something out before. Before exhaust pipe would be a bigger carburetor. The 230 is under carbed & you can get some more top end out of it with a larger carburetor.

Who says?

ever heard of a little magazine called motocross action or dirt bike magazine :banghead:

yah look in the ad section in the back look for sidewinder and read their quotes

Somebody can say it, doesn't mean I believe it. There's a small inertia loss to be had but as I pointed out there's other ways to get it & I don't need it or want it. IMO. Your money would be much better spent on big bore than buying a smaller weaker chain, but that's just my opinion.