Sign in to follow this  

Curnutt shocks

Other then Ebay, does anyone have a source for Curnutt shocks / parts?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

If that link does not work, I think I still have the mag I copied that article from. :applause: I also made a 'Curnutt' shock tool like in the article, works great. If I recall, the seals are generic store bought ones. :banghead: MD

Good luck, they are great shocks. Remember though, you cant test them for rebound damping by bouncing on them, they will feel like spring only. And yes the squeak is normal.

I had Curnutts on my RM370 when I attended a Gary Bailey MX school (a long time ago). The first day he did a quick check of everyone bike before we started riding. He told me my shocks were completely shot because he bounced them and felt no damping. I tried to explain that it was normal for Curnutts, but he insisted they were bad....but would let me ride anyway unless it looked like the bike was out of control. At the end of the first day, he came back to ask questions about the Curnutts because they looked like they were working just fine even though they felt bad.

One thing to do remember from an article in either Dirt Bike or Pop Cycling was that the Curnutts whould never be mounted upside down, but it didn't explain why. Does any one know?

Cheers,

Mac

Tom, did you see OSD's pic up on the Yahoo site? I hope he doesn't get a bigger head now! :applause: I have to keep the Mutts in the public eye. :banghead:

Other then Ebay, does anyone have a source for Curnutt shocks / parts?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Go to this website

http://www.gas-it-n-go.com/articles/article/31289/1239.htm

It gives the specs and part numbers of the two sizes of off-the-shelf O-rings used to rebuild the shocks. The site also has a bunch of good info about Curnutts. If you need other parts, that might be a lot harder. However,

Charlie Curnutt's son is now building Curnutt shocks, but they're for mountain bikes, not motorcycles. He may have some leftover part parts or know where they may be available.

Good hunting!! I loved my old Curnutt shocks...

Cheers,

Mac