Sign in to follow this  

18" rear tire???

ok, so has anyone put a 18" rim on their bike yet??? i'd love to do this if it's possible without spending hundreds of dollars. could i use the stock hub and just get a new 18" rim and spokes and just lace it up or what? :banghead:

mike

Why? I've got an 18 on my DR350 and it limits me a bit as for tire options. The 17 on your bike let's you use a fatter rear which for the torque of a 650 would seem like a good idea. With the 18 inch sizes you're lucky to find anything over 130 wide.

Definitely check tire availability first. It wouldn't be difficult at all to get a 18" rim and lace it to your stock hub. As long as it's not a motard rim, these rims are cheap. Then all you have to do is find someone like Buchannon(sp?) or one of the other reputable wheel shops to set it up. Probably get it done really cheap if you were to fully disassemble the stock rim so all they had to do is lace up the new one.

it just seemed to me that there's alot more tire choices in 18" then there are in 17" :banghead: hmm.... thanks though guys

KTM's dual sports, including the 950 adventure, come with 18" wheels. It seems most of the real dirt oriented tires are available for the 18"s since all big offroad bikes(not motorcross) use 18" wheels as well. At this point, it's all preference. See what tires are available and make the decision based on that.

any ideas how an 18 would affect the torque? would it be very noticeable? also obviously ride height would be raised which in my case would be a good thing, while i'm just 5'11" i like a higher feel/ride. plus then i might be able to do a corbin seat comfortably:D

you're looking at 1/2" of height below the axle. You may also get taller gearing if the tires used have a larger diameter than the 17" tires(chances are they will). Also you get the benefit of a larger wheel which will give a little more stability and a smoother ride over choppy, rutted ground. The larger wheel/tire will stay at the top of bumps as opposed to falling down into ridges that a smaler tire would. That sounds like a huge improvement, but you probably won't notice a big difference as you'd only be going to a 1" larger wheel. Just trying to give you some of the ideals behind the swap. For hardcore dirt riding, you'd probably love the difference.

I've though about it too but I am concerned that the higher tire will cause stinkbug handling as you cannot push the forks down enough to compensate.

Anyway, I'm working on putting a dr350 non cushdrive hub and wheel on the 650 and I need some custom wheel spacers made. I'll let oyu guys know what happens.

I dont know what kind of choices you have in the USA, but here in Sweden i can choose from more than 20 different tires for my Dr650.

In one of the webshops alone, I have 18 different 17" legal offroad tyre choices depending on dimensions (7 different models though):

Continental TKC80 120/90-17"

Continental TKC80 130/80-17" TL

Continental TKC80 130/80-17"TT

Continental TKC80 140/80-17"

Continental TKC80 150/70-17"

Metzeler Enduro 3 120/90-17"

Metzeler Enduro 3 130/80-17"

Metzeler Enduro 3 140/80-17"

Metzeler Karoo 140/80-17"

Metzeler Karoo 150/70-17"

Michelin Anakee 130/80-17"

Michelin Anakee 140/80-17"

Michelin Anakee 150/70-17"

Michelin Sirac 120/90-17"

Michelin Sirac 130/80-17"

Michelin T63 130/80-17"

Pirelli MT21 120/90-17"

Pirelli MT21 130/90-17"

The Mt21 is an excellent gravel and off-road tyre for the Dr650, the T63 and Tkc80 a good mixed tyre if you still use it for gravel and offroad from time to time, and the Sirac and maybe anakee is more road oriented tyres.

Of course if you look at more hard-core enduro tyres the choices may be more limited...

/K