Sign in to follow this  

question on 04

i have a 04 kx250f everything stock other a water pump

i have very little compression in my kick starter and it won't start

is it my valves?

I'm new to the whole dirtbike bikes so any help would be awesome

Odds are they are your valves and most likely the left intake. If the vlaves have closed enough so your not getting compression (zero valve clearance) then the valves are probably stuffed and need replacing. The valve has worn and receeded into the head. This allows it to push against the cam which holds it slightly open and you lose compression. No compression means no start.

A shop may re shim it for you, which will get your compression back and the bike will run great but it won't last long. Maybe a ride or two. The coating of the valve is worn through and it will now keeping wearing as it is into the softer material.

Start going back through the posts and reading up. Your due for some head work. Get it fixed properly (the numerous different ways to attack the problem)

If this is not being used as a serious Mx race bike I would suggest Stainless Steel valves. I ride hare scrambles and mostly trails in Nor Cal and My 04 had its first set of valves replaced at about 30 hrs I switched to BEL REY filter oil and got about 50 hrs out of the second set of valves. I then switched to SS valves and now have about 80 hours on them with "NO" apparent ware. Just my 2 cents oh yeah I am now a firm believer in the Bel Rey filter oil that stuff is far Superior to anything else I have tried :banghead:

I then switched to SS valves and now have about 80 hours on them with "NO" apparent ware.

What brand of valves did ypu go with? Did you do seats, springs, buckets etc as well? Thanks