Sign in to follow this  

05 -06 cross over

Ok here is the deal -I built an 05 with hot cam -je 80mm pistons ported it

the whole works. I just picked up an 06 and wondering if the parts will interchange from 05-06. The local dealers don't even have a fiche on the 06 yet so that is no help. I have not torn apart the 06 yet to compare them so i was hoping someone out there could shed a little light on this before i perform the surgery on the 06. I think that with a little bracket modification I will be able to use my 05 pipe on the 06. I am not even really sure why they split the pipe it really didn't seem that much quieter.

Honda split the pipe so it would give the bike a more balance feel. If you have just on big exhaust, on one side, it would be off-balance(even though we can't tell). I just got me 06 Yesterday, but i haven't rode on a track yet. As for the interchangeable parts, the cam won't work because they redesigned the cam for more top-end. I will be able to tell you more when I perform surgery on mine too.

I'm sure everything will work but I think there's more work than you think to get the pipe to fit. Upper and lower mounts will have to be modified to get the 05 pipe to fit. The only issue may be the ignition box which is programmed for the 06 setup.

A lot of people here seem to think the dual pipes is primarily for balance...

I think that is just PR bull, I believe the main reason for dual pipes was to get the CRF250 on par with the YZF250 in the low to mid power range.

As they said "by changing to a dual exhaust we vastly improved the bottom end allowing us to work on the mid to top as well"

Maybe trading some of the new found bottom for some extra mid and top....?

Haven't ridden one so can't tell yet.

Mark

One thing is for sure, they didn't do it to make the bike quieter. Everyone keeps acting surprised that the bike is not quieter but if you pay attention, you'll notice that no where, not in any literature or specs or anything, does Honda claim they reduced noise or that they even intended to. That is just an assumption everyone made about the twin pipes.

one mag did say it was just as loud but it does not carry the sound as far....