Sign in to follow this  

2005 WR 250F vs CRF 250X

I am ready to move up from a CRF 230 and looking at one of the above. My son is into racing and loves the sport. I live in So Cal so i will ride in Gorman or the desert, more with my younger son. I am looking for a versitle bike, that I can take on the track, the trails, the desert. hang with my 6 year old but also have fun with the guys. Any preference of does it come down to which I can get the best price for? What about green stickers and which will require the most to get the slugs out?

Terry

i dont know about the CRF but i have a WR and the thing rips. the neat thing is u can keep all the crap in it and keep it extra tamable in the woods still havin perdy good power. or u can take that stuff out and have a wide ratioed yz250f with a headlight, plush suspention and more hookin up torque than u can imagine in the low end. I went through the rocky mountain jr enduro and harescramble with a bald tire and it still hooked up. i love my bike.

I decided on a WR 250 over the CRF-X. There are just too many people with valve problems on the Honda for it to be a maintenance issue IMO. Out of the box the WR needs some jetting/tuning help, throttle stop screw, less restrictive baffle and some air box mods. Pro Circuit may have a valve, valve spring fix for the CRF but it is a bit spendy so I bought the WR.

Just my two cents.

I rode an XR400 for almost three years and wanted a more MX friendly machine to chase my kids on. I bought an '05 WR250F and besides a few minor mods to correct a slight throttle bog issue, most of which are free, I have never looked back. I simply love the machine.

I too looked at the CRF250X and heard way to many complaints about the valve issue, even the dealer I bought the Yamaha from mentioned the valve problem, they sell both Honda and Yamaha. Most I have spoke to say the CRF is a little more powerful than the stock WR but does not handle anywhere near how smooth the WR does. However, I have been told with a few simple and relatively inexpensive mods you can unleash all the power the WR has to offer and for me it is just as comfortable to ride in the woods as it is on the track.

Best of luck with whatever you chose.

David :banghead:

I would not say it is uncomfortable at all. The bike is much more narrow than anything I have ever ridden before. It does take a little time to get used to this fact but once you do it is amazing how much control you have over the bike because of the design. It is incredibly nimble in real tight single trail stuff and handles like a dream on the track.

Heck, anytime you are on a bike for more than a few hours your *ss is going to get a little sore no matter what you ride :applause:

David :banghead:

One more thing, the WR250F will pull all the way to the limiter, I had to short shift the CRF250X to stay in the power.

Rich

glad to see some of the positive write-ups re: the WR torque. I got a new 05 WR250 yesterday and I'm coming from a KTM300EXC, which is an awesome bike. It was a '99 and I nuked the engine a couple weeks ago, the top and bottom of it. I couldn't see spending 800 to fix an old bike so I bit the bullet and came home with a new ride. If the 250 after the mods is anywhere close to the 300 then I'll be quite happy with it. I just hope I don't have to wring its neck to make it go. any more insight out there for me?

I have had my 250x for almost 2 years and change the oil only a couple times a year and haven't had any problems with valves.

As far as valve issues go, I'm of the mind that no aftermarket parts add up to a true fix. I've been thru this on several bikes and when the manufacturer gets it right, ala Yamaha, that's the best solution. Otherwise there are issues as to valve spring tension, valve material, valve coating material, seat hardness, type of gas, etc., etc. AND, how they relate to each other.; It's a problem that you can't nail down to any one component or issue. Get a bike where the manufacturer got it right. Get the Yamaha!

Add me to the list of Honda riders that went blue on my latest bike purchase. I wanted a 250X sooo bad but couldn't get past the valve issue. I don't believe that it is a maintenance issue, but rather a design issue. It seems like some people have great luck with them and others have no luck. I wasn't willing to take that $6000 chance. With that said I love my '06 WR250 now that I've completed all the free mods.

Jrex a modded WR250 will not compare to your 300 2 smoke and you WILL have to wring the WR out to make it go. It's a small bore bike and that's how small bores are ridden. A WR 450 would be a much better comparison to the 300 and wouldn't need to be reved out to make it go. The uncorked WR has lots of power when compared to 125 2 stroke and 250 4 strokes but it's really can't be compared to an open bike.

Here in Australia, WR250F wins all the shoot outs against CRF250X, but CRF450X craps on the WR450F! That's why I don't like reading reviews...........

WR250F has about 6hp more uncorked than CRF250X!

oh well, I guess I'll have to wring its neck then. Yrs ago I had a Husky 250XC (2stroker) and had to wring its neck to go and it had little torque. I'm assuming that the WR will STILL be better than that. I did a couple hare scrambles north of Atlanta at a place called Diamondback and the place had some serious hills. It was nice to be able to just grunt up them while the sewing machines were spinning all over the place. Guess I'll just have to relearn some things.

I have had my 250x for almost 2 years and change the oil only a couple times a year and haven't had any problems with valves.

this guy is destined to spend a mortgage fixing his bike in the near future :applause:

i can hear it now clink rrrrrr boom

glad to see some of the positive write-ups re: the WR torque. I got a new 05 WR250 yesterday and I'm coming from a KTM300EXC, which is an awesome bike. It was a '99 and I nuked the engine a couple weeks ago, the top and bottom of it. I couldn't see spending 800 to fix an old bike so I bit the bullet and came home with a new ride. If the 250 after the mods is anywhere close to the 300 then I'll be quite happy with it. I just hope I don't have to wring its neck to make it go. any more insight out there for me?

man what u smokin, a 300 2 smoke will put out nearly 50 hp

a modded wr250 about 35 hp

I know that you can buy the CRF250X in a california green sticker model, I think the WR might be red stickered though unlee you buy a 2002 or older, but then it does not come with and electric start if you buy a 2002 or older WR

I know that you can buy the CRF250X in a california green sticker model, I think the WR might be red stickered though unlee you buy a 2002 or older, but then it does not come with and electric start if you buy a 2002 or older WR

My '06 has some annoying emissions BS on it for CA residents. I'm in the process of trying to remove it. So yeah I think it's legal in CA for '06.