Sign in to follow this  

need help

i noticed that my bike has been starting harder then before. it wont even start when cold by kicking and haveing the choke out. i have to bump start it but then after it is warmed up it starts right up 1st kick. sometimes i can get the bike to start cold with the choke out but i have to time it right and give it a little gas at the right secound. the thing is it did the same thing before and i had to do a valve job because all the valves were tight. i have a hour meter and its only been about 10 hours since i did the valve job. my question is do valves get out of spec this fast? i am not a hard rider and i almost neaver bounce of the rev limiter at tops 1 time since the revalve, but the funny thing is that it still idles nice and smooth like it did right after the valve job. my other ? is could this be a sign of my valves or camshafts being bad i know it had the 03 cam put in it (bike is a 2001 YZ250F) the bike is also smokeing not bad this is a sign of ne rings on the piston right? i planed on putting new piston and rings in and a new cam chain over the winter but is this something i should do sooner thanks any help would be greatly apreciated

i also have another question how do you get a good reading with the feeler gauge on the middle intake valve, do you have to cut your feeler gauge ? thanks

I would definitely check your valves. Given the age of your bike, your valves may have worn through their hard coating and this will accelerate your wear. 10 hours seems pretty short, but I guess it's possible.

Sounds like you may need new rings as well.

Yes, you have to cut down a feeler gauge to get the center valve reading. Or there is a place to buy skinny feelers called Griots Garage. Do a search for the link.

Also, I'm a little skeptical about your statement that you've done your valves, if you don't even have the tools to do it. :banghead:

Yes, I understand. My question should read, "How can you make a valve adjustment if you don't have the tools to measure the clearances?"

sorry i haven't replayed back i've been out of town the other day and race today but it was a valve job it was a valve adjustment. and the first adjustment i did i had a friend helping me and he had feeler gauges that were already cut i was just wondering how he got it this way i guess i asked the question the wrong way. i check my valves and yea the intake valves were tight agian tighter the my smallest feeler gauge. but my exhaust were still in spec. so i reshimed the intake to get me by my race today and it starts perfect. but before my last moto i bubped it because i was worried about flooding it cause i thoguth i already did trying to start the bike. then at the track i was talking to a person i know who owns a shop and he told me that my valves are starting to tuluping i guess and i am most likeing going to have to get new intake valves and he said something about grinding something he gave me a price of 65 dollars for labor plus parts. my new question is what do i need to get is there a kit i can buy or something and about how much for the kit. i had my last race today but i still planed on rideing at local practice tracks till winter is it bad to still ride my bike in its condidtion thanks agian.

Yes, it is bad to ride your bike in its current condition. Your valves have reached the end of their lives, and a valve failure will also likely take the head and piston with it. You might even loose the crank or connecting rod.

I've read that your best options are oem or kibblewhite valve sets. You'll be better off in the long run if you replace all the valve, valve springs, keepers, etc. at once. Trying to save $$ by doing a partial replacement will probably cost you in the long run.

my bike is starting up fine today do you think i should stop rideing and do the work or should i continue rideing untill its starts to start hard agian and when the valves get tight i planed on doing work over the winter but i have no money now and that would not allow me to ride for the rest of the season thanks

No one can tell you when or if your vavles are going to fail. That's a judgement you'll have to make for yourself. You might be OK if you check your valve clearances frequently. On the other hand, you might not. Your bike is showing signs of impending valve failure (lots of valve stretch, and rapid loss of clearances). That would be enough to scare me out of it, but maybe I'm just too cautious. Plus, I can't afford to junk one and buy another.

today i checked my clearance and they were already tight

so i got the engine almost completly apart. now im going to have a guy how owns a shop do the work (the guy i stated above) and i figure tat i should put in a new piston,camchain to. My cylinder looks good no oval and still see some hatch marks. my piston actually looks like it was replaced recently it only has the blacking near the center should i just get a whole new piston or just rings ? also what advantages and disadvatages would come out of getting a high compresion piston ? thanks agian for the help and the quick replays

i looked up the part number on the piston and it is a wiseco piston kit part number 4738m07700 that i found on the top of the piston it is a standard bore but +.75 Compression should i just get rings for it the piston is in good shape ill try to post a pic of it later thanks

If the piston and bore measure OK, then you should be fine in just replacing the rings. I'd like to try one of those higher compression pistons myself.