Sign in to follow this  

Chain guide issue w/larger rear sprocket?

Sorry if this was already asked and answered - couldn't find it.

I am about to replace the 48T rear sprocket on my 05 CRF 150 with a 50T. I know a few of you guys have put 50s on the rear...

It looks like the chain clearance up and into the chain guide from the 48T sprocket is pretty tight - am I going to have any problem (clearance, etc.) with the stock chain guide when I put on this larger rear sprocket?????

im curious about that too im getting a 50T rear sprocket for mine too i think it will clear but lets see what other people have to say

Does't anyone have info on this? I'm assuming it is OK because other posts on this did not mention changing the chain guide, but anyone who has put a 50 on would know.... anyone???

There should be no problem. The CRF230 uses a 50 tooth rear and the same chain guide. It should be fine.

The swingarm is different only in that it is shorter on the 150. The placement of the guide mount in relation to the hub is equal on both machines.

I put on the 50T sprocket today and went on a short test run. Everything seems fine. Thanks guys. The 50T does seem to provide more spirited acceleration.

BTW, it's a Renthal 7076 T6 aluminum sprocket and R1 Works gold chain. Oh man, it's a beautiful setup. This sprocket is half the weight of the stock sprocket, maybe less (didn't weigh 'em, but it is a dramatic difference.) And yes I know the O-ring chains last longer; don't really care about that. This is a lighter, bullet-proof racing chain and I love it. :banghead: