Sign in to follow this  

Changed my first MX tire last night!

The stock dunlop was getting pretty rounded and low so I switched it out for a Millville.

Pulling the old tire off was routine ... putting it on wasn't so easy, especially getting the value stem in, PITA. Then comes the part of seating the bead, after inflating it to 50psi and not hearing the usual pop - pop with street tires I figured there must be a better way! A few TT posts recommended heat and WD-40 so off I went and .... it worked! Thanks TT people! Changing these tires sure tries ones nerves ... profanity definitely helps though! :banghead:

Steve

just changed a dunlop 606 for a terraflex tonight. No pop-pop on the t-flex but I can tell you that was one muther of a tire to get on the rim. I still love it. 1000 miles will tell you if I will still love it over the dunlop.

just changed a dunlop 606 for a terraflex tonight. No pop-pop on the t-flex but I can tell you that was one muther of a tire to get on the rim. I still love it. 1000 miles will tell you if I will still love it over the dunlop.

Let us know about that mileage, I am interested to know if they last as long as the 606 since that is what I am running now. I have a 1000 miles on mine now and will probably get another 200.

especially getting the value stem in, PITA.

You need one of these!

DRCvalvepuller.jpg

Available from the Dirt Bike Store in the UK for £4.99. It's made by DRC, I think. Not sure where you get 'em in the US, though!

Ian

MilleonAir,

Now thats a handy tool ... I'll see if I could make one of those. Thanks :banghead:

BigDR,

Cool ... any tricks that make this easier, the better ... though I don't "plan" on changing tires to often.

Steve

I've got a trick for the valve stem that is so easy you won't believe me.

when you are at the point where you normally fight wit the valve stem and try to bend you fingers in ways they are not designed to bend, do this instead;

push the valve stem down inside the tire with the stem in the groove in the rim.

hold the rim stationary and rotate tire/tube back and forth so that the stem is passing back and forth past the rim hole. at some point (usually 3-4 passes) the stem will catch on the rim hole and pop through. it work like a charm and is easy! no tools needed.

Let us know about that mileage, I am interested to know if they last as long as the 606 since that is what I am running now. I have a 1000 miles on mine now and will probably get another 200.

I've got over 2000 miles on my 606's. I probably have a good 750 miles left if I wanna take 'em down to nothing! I was thinking of trying the Trackmaster next....only $36 and seem to be popular.

Dan