Sign in to follow this  

YZ250f smoke on start up

When i start my bike after its been sitten for a few days ill rev. it to get it warmed up and ill see blue, black and, white smoke all at the same time when it hits higher rpms. I was wonderin if this was normal...

There could be a couple of things at work here.

First, after it's been sitting for a few days, the engine oil has migrated from the tank down and into the crankcase, which will have the crank slapshing around in oil for about the first 30-60 seconds or so until the oil gets returned to the tank. Revving the engine during this time will result in an excess of oil on the cylinder walls, overwhelming the rings. Just let it idle for the first minute.

The other thing that could be happening, although it's less likely, is that the valve seals could be weak, and allowing oil onto the back of the intakes. This usually shows up as a single burst of white (blue) smoke on startup, but it should do this after it's sat for any time longer than 30 minutes, not just after a few days.

Like Gray said, when you first crank it, don't rev it. Let it idle for a bit to get the oil back in the frame. Being that it is an 05, I doubt you have a ring problem.