Sign in to follow this  

'04 crf 250 won't start with choke

i have a '04 crf250 that one day decided to stop starting. it always started with the choke on the 1st or 2nd kick. then one day it wouldnt start. i cleaned the carb out and nothing helped. bike will only start with hot start pulled in and after about 20-30 kicks. then it will run perfectly and will start when hot on 1st or 2nd kick. i'm all out of ideas as to what is wrong. any help would be appreciated. the bike is running sunoco 93 octane, shell rotella oil, stock jetting except 162 main and clip moved down one slot to 3rd position. bike is totally stock. its always run on the setup and never had any problems.

like burned said, 'check the shims', youll find the inlet are 0.00mm gap. you can re-shim them... but from experience i'd just change the inlet valves either for new oem or ideally some s/s ones.

a re-shimwill be ok for around 15-20hrs but they will just close up again untill your upto the max shim size and have to change the valves (plus you've had a big headache shimming all the time)

the problem is the valves are coated titanium and once this wears off from the valve bouncing shut they just recess into the head.

order some s/s valves and some stiffer springs then dont worry bout it again.

where would be the best place to order them from (s/s valves and new springs)? also is there a specific number for the springs?

go to wmr .com for the valves and if you got cash and time send them the head for the guides and seals they will also grind the seats and lap the valves in for you thats the real fix also while its down caution thin cylinder walls on the 04 crf 250 pistin kit or atleast rings always new wrist pin and cir clips

get er done twist and the whoops are gone

:banghead: