Sign in to follow this  

XR250 or XR400?

Hi y'all,

as a new forum user and in the market for an XR to trail ride and follow the young fella (12) around on his XR100 I'm trying to decide between a 250 or 400, it'll be around the 1998 to 2000 vintage. I rode dirt a lot but that was a few years ago. I'm 49 and around 200lbs.

What do y'all recommend?

:banghead::applause:🤣🤣

At your weight (I'm 220 myself) I would recommend the 400. I rode the 250's and they are fun when you just begin to ride. Shortly after, as you begin to get confidence and more skill, they are just to wimpy in the lower rpm range and you will begin to thirst for more power. The 400 has plenty of torque for climps and you can get through most of the stuff in 2nd and 3rd gear. Whereas the 250, you'll find yourself constantly using the 1st gear because of lack of torque. Againg this is just MHO...

both of them have good points. I bought a 250 to ride with my kids, and was never disappointed, but have been wanting more power, so I traded up to the 400. I can still go nice and easy or fast. I agree with MAR that it depends on what terrain you'll be riding. If it is more open, I'd go for the 400 for sure. The 250 was a nice starter bike for not having ridden in about 12 years though. Also like MAR said, you really can't go wrong with either...

Thanks fellas,almost all of our riding here is fairly open, beaches, logging roads etc so will opt for the 400 if I can find one in good condition, most that are for sale here seem to have been thrashed pretty hard.

Anything special I need to look for when inspecting one, what are the tell tale signs that its done a million hours or miles etc?

Thanks all for your help so far, much appreciated.

i'm 47 i'de use a 250 over a 400 any day, you can always add motor mods to the 250 but you can't shed the weight of a 400.

stu

The weight thing on the 400 is over done!! Once the bike is rolling you really cant feel the extra 18 pounds. Besides the front end is lighter on the 400 if ya know what I mean! :banghead:

I wouldnt be talking down the 250 if I were anyone. With the 280 and cam this thing will crack wheelies in 4th gear. However if you dont want to spend alot of money then I would just get the 400. If you are 220 pounds I would definitely get the 400 unless you get suspension modifications for the 250. I think the max weight for the 250 IS 220 pounds. If I were you I would get the 400. If you were 150 pounds you would want to go with the 250.

It depends on where you ride, like most folks said. In the deep nasty woods in Western WA I would take the 250 over the 400 any day. What good's all that extra power gonna do you in the woods? In more open areas choose the 400. I love my 400 but it all depends on what you want to do.

I'm a little lighter than you and I have an XR400. I did the suspension modification which helped on the handling.