Sign in to follow this  

It's official, Husqvarna USA's are EPA & DOT street legal!

My question:

There is conjecture that the 06 TE models will carry the appropriate emission sticker to alow it to be street licensed in all 50 states.

Is this true? Is there a factory "Dual Sport model available in California?

Thanking you in advance,

Roy

Husqvarna USA's response:

Roy,

What your hearing is true. We have taken the necessary steps to bring our TE 250 / 450 / 510 in to the U.S.within the EPA and DOT guidelines for street legal motorcycles. :banghead::applause:

Be advised, in order to do this, certain carb and exhaust changes were made. As a result, the units in "street" form do not perform at their peak performance. Although the necessary components to make the unit fully "competition ready" are supplied, it is very important to understand that if you or any other person make these changes to the "stock" unit, it will nor longer meet C.A.R.B., EPA, or DOT restrictions, and in effect make the unit in to a "off-road" use only motorcycle, not fit for use on public streets or highways.

Sincerely.

Rob Keith

General Manager

Husqvarna USA

Cagiva USA

North America's exclusive distributor of Cagiva, Husqvarna, and MV Agusta motorcycles

2300 Maryland Road

Willow Grove, PA 19090

(215) 830-3300

www.cagivausa.com www.husqvarnausa.com www.mvagusta.com

Awesome! I like the fact they will "supply" the parts to set the bike up the way it should be after the sale. Thanks for the info. :banghead:

No need to hear ANYBODY complain about no good D/S bikes now. Also very cool that the parts come in the box...to make it run right :banghead: Husky has knocked one out of the park with this deal. Wait for the big 5 to play catch up.

Hopefully the engine will be easy to get parts for in 5-10 years when it needs something, I would be very skeptical about buying one of these.

With all of the online distributors that there are now I would not worry about it nowadays. They are kinda like Ktm was 5-6 years ago. Before you know it there will be a husky dealer on every corner.

Hopefully the engine will be easy to get parts for in 5-10 years when it needs something, I would be very skeptical about buying one of these.

i don't expect that to be a problem. i think they will sell about a brazilian of these bikes in 06. anyway, if you really ride, your bike will toasted in less than 10 years anyway. my 3 yr old bike has 11,000 hard off-road miles on it already, and i'm just nursing it along until i can get another one.

You can """"meet C.A.R.B., EPA, or DOT restrictions,""" and still not meet Calif ON Highway standards.

Dale

is that true for bikes? are you talking emissions stuff? i was under the impression that they're only looking for epa stickers, but you are certainly better versed in this area than i am.

anyone know if the maintenace schedules on the 450 / 510's are similar to the KTM RFS's.. hope not.

Any company that is willing to adjust to the limited demand of dual-sport has got to be worth a try. It sounds like bigbob and sharpie1 like their 510's, and so far I haven't heard of too many problems. And all of this coming from a Honda guy. :banghead:

8 months of ownership, about 2000 miles, probably about 110-120 hours on my 2005 Te-510.

I just checked the valves tonight agin for the 4th time since i bought the bike. checked them at 12, 40, 80 now 120 hours. the Valve clearnaces have not moved one bit from dead center in the clearnace tolerance range.

I went thru one front wheel bearing and one battery ( jap battery). I jetted it with JD's jet kit but the stock set up worked too, just JD's set up is a bit crisper.

I ride every weekend usualy Sat and Sun. Husqvarnas are industrial strenght motorcycles. example , look at the stock Tomesetti bars so thick you have to drill out the ends to fit even the smallest pro taper type handguard bar end bolts in there. those are the stock bars! Quality exhaust, excell rims, great suspension, and they turn great. Competition weight, 6 speed, e start and kick start standard. MXers in 2006 are e start optional. Sharpie1 will back me up but he is home these days, not able to ride much.

I did not see the TE610 listed in his statement. Will it be compliant also? I just sold my XR650L and will be in the market for a new ride soon. The Husky is on my list. I just hope I don't get sticker shock!!

RH

the TE-610 is a Dual sport machine, yes it is very much Dual purpose , street legal and ready for dirt.

the TE-250, 450 and 510 are competition enduro bikes that are street legal, they have the smaller enduro tanks, no buddy pegs, they are lighter and basically dirt bikes with lights and a plate.

the TE-610 is a bigger bike, larger tank, cooling fan, stronger headlamp , buddy pegs all that. it is marketed as a dual sport.