Sign in to follow this  

Lift foot for mid air brake or slide foot?

In mid air, what's the best technique for hitting the rear brake, lifting the right foot or sliding the foot over the shift lever? When I lift my foot the bike tilts to the left foot that's still on the peg & if I slide my foot I something get the boot stuck under the rear brake lever. Which way should I practice this technique?

Thanks

Jim

YZ250F

I usually use the rear brake in the air if i need to bring the front end down. The reason the bike is tilting when you use bring your foot off the peg is because you have unweighted one side of the bike and still putting weight on the other side (which in your case is the shifter side). Do what ever is the most comfortable to you but using the rear brake is the most common.

I believe that you lift your right foot to apply the back brake in the air. The bike will not tilt to the left unless you are weighting the left peg. If you are not pushing down on one side your body will just float along with the bike. Many pro's have both boots off of the pegs while airborn.

I personally lift my right foot and have my finger on the clutch when airborn for most jumps. That way I can place the boot (or boots) back to hook the subframe and pull it up if the front end is a little high, or, place it forward onto the brake pedal and stomp on it (while clutching) if the front end is way high. Sliding the boot to the brake pedal, instead of lifting it, sounds kind of tricky.

when I'm in the air there is almost no weight On the pegs. I do pull my right foot completely off the peg to hit my brake int he air and if i have to correct it i just hit the throttle before landing

You need to grip the bike with your knees and lower leg so that you can lift the foot slightly and tap the brake if necesary without letting go or adversely affecting the balance of the bike.

when i brake check in the air i usually lift my right foot off and stomp the rear brake while clutching. to get a greater effect i left my left foot off and hook the knob on the back of the boot under the subframe, while i'm doing this i'm leaning up and over the bars then once my heel hits i clutch and stomp the rear brake, this will let you bring the bike from damn near straight up to flat or below flat again.