Sign in to follow this  

Snow riding

Hey, does anyone ever ride in the snow? i figure i'd ask cuz its getting pretty cold her ein vermont (i just moved here from florida). Will any old tire spikes help me out, or do i need those top of the line snow tires that are really expensive??

Riding in snow is more fun when you run simple knobbies.

It does wonders for your balance and anticipation skills once the ground dries out.

Ice screws work pretty good as long as the snow is not too deep, Just screw them in to any old used tire you have lying around. It's also alot of fun to ride on a frozen river, they hook up real good.

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten that thread! His story and the one where he got lost both cracked me up!

Snow riding is alot of fun. Winter is when I do trail riding and hill climbs. Any other time of the year I am at the MX tracks. You have to have some trellborgs or make some real snow tires.

For the front I run hex head screws into each knob, #10 x 1/2" work well. Since it is kinda like riding sand (you keep the front light) your front doesn't matter as much as the back. In back the Hex heads will rip right out, and they don't grip all that well anyway. In back I drill a hole through every knob, then run #12 x 1 1/4" panhead sheet metal screws out through the knobs. Cover the heads with duct tape, the use an old tube to make a liner for your tube. Remove the valve stem then slit it the whole way around on the inside, slip it over your tube and install it. I hit jumps and all like this and never get a flat. Before the liner though I would get some flats when hitting stuff.

Heres my 02 CR250 in winter mode.

CR250winter.jpg

RearTire.jpg

sweet, i plan on doing some winter riding when it snows. I hope we get a big snow storm, cause it normally doesn't snow that much.

where are you getting these sheet metal screws.. ive seen real snow screws but they were like 150 bucks, and if i could go cheap that would be nice

where are you getting these sheet metal screws.. ive seen real snow screws but they were like 150 bucks, and if i could go cheap that would be nice

At a Hardware store. It is a PITA to make one, but I bet it goes as good or better than a Trellborg. Make sure you have a cordless drill, and even then it sux putting all those screws in from the inside of the tire. The end result is the tire on my 250, I have been running it for 4 winters now.

Just get a few boxes of #12 x 1 1/4" pan heads. They shouldn't cost no more than 3 bucks for a box of 50. For the rear, and then just use Hex heads for the front into the knobs from the outside. #10 x 1/3" for them.