Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport conversion

I thought I came across a thread a while back about a cheap way to dual sport a Husqvarna enduro. I have a 01 TE 570. The thread discussed not buying a kit but doing the work yourself. Anybody know that thread or something similar?

I dont know of any thread, but I made mine myself and saved a few hundred over the cost of a kit. All I had to get for my 510 is a BD tail light, turn signals, flasher, handle bar switch and a horn. It all came out to around $200, of course if your not handy with electrical stuff it might be tricky. Good luck.

Thanks sharpie1. With detailed instructions, I might take on a project like that. Otherwise, think I'm better with a kit.

I dont know of any thread, but I made mine myself and saved a few hundred over the cost of a kit. All I had to get for my 510 is a BD tail light, turn signals, flasher, handle bar switch and a horn. It all came out to around $200, of course if your not handy with electrical stuff it might be tricky. Good luck.

Sharpie,

Did you get your flasher from Baja Designs? I looked at theirs, but it seems big. I looked in the Allied Electronics catalog and didn't find much for DC flashers either. At the moment, I'm just riding without turn signals, though everything else is wired up accordingly.

I got a heady duty 2 wire flasher from my local motorsports shop (actually the same one BD sells), you can get them at auto parts stores as well but I would make sure its the sealed type. You need to wire the turn signals to the battery to run on DC, I ran everything but the turn signals and the horn to the lighting coil and it works great.

The voltage input to the flasher unit wasn't clean enough directly from the stator? I know it's not exactly DC, but I figured it would still work. I have no battery and don't plan on buying one, though the little one BD sells looks decent and small enough.... I'm just trying to keep it to a minimum.

I dont know about your bike but my 510 puts out almost 20 volts AC when reved up, I tried hooking up the flasher to the AC side and it fried it instantly. You would (I think) have to put a rectifier in before the flasher unit, a cheap bridge rectifier from radio shack might work but it would still not be regulated, hmm...you dont need the battery, you just need 12 VDC.

So, you just have the little battery powering the turn signals and nothing else, right? I've also been thinking about that, given the BD NiCad batteries are fairly cheap and small, but I'd prefer to not go that route. I've got a rectifier/regulator from my CBR that might work, too. Hmmm.....