Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 for my son.. Some questions.

My 14 year old has outgrown his last bike, and it finally got passed down to his younger brother. I have researched, and looked at the KLX 300 for about 3 months now, and Im thinking of it as a Christmas present.

A few Questions, if you could help me out please.

1. IS there any significant changes from 01 on up?

I have read about the Valves tightening, which seems to be an issue with most smaller bore 4 strokes nowdays. Has this been addressed anywhere in the line up?

2. Longevity.. O.k we have 6 children, 4 of which are riding age and have their own bikes. With 6 Kids I cannot afford to go out and buy a new bike every other year, so this one will be in the stable for a good 7-8 years and passed down to his younger brothers and sisters as they come up in age.

Whats the long term Outlook for the Bike? Anything that Jumps out at you as a reoccuring problem(other than the Valve issue and Kickstarter).

3. Hop up potential. Im not a Fan of the CV type carbs, They really seem to struggle on the low end. How much of a difference does a standard carb make on this machine. Also, How plugged up is it from the Factory?

All of our kids started at the Age of 4, so he gets a little bored with STOCK... But I dont want to turn it into something that is tempermental either.

I just want something for him to ride about 2-3 years, then I'll pass down My 450 EXC as I get a new one.

Reports I have read have been favorable of the bike, and I really think the light weight will agree with him in the woods. He likes the looks even.

O,h, One last thing.. I have noticed that the front brake line wraps around the front axle before running into the Caliper. It seems like this could be bad if the fork leg gets Jammed into rocks or roots, Is there a guard for this?

I appreciate your time! Thanks again!

Yep their is a guard for the brake line. First thing you wanna do with the bike is remove the rear plug from the exhaust. Take off the air box cover and get the dyno jet kit. After that exhaust if you want. I have only had my KLX for about 5 months and my dad rides it at the local track almost every weekend. Havn't had any problems yet. It might weight a little to much for your normal 14 yr old.

I had a 98 KLX 300 as a first Bike, I really enjoyed it and had no problems at all, and I guarantee you is Bullet Prof. I had it for 2 years, and was an excellent machine, the valves needed adjustment every 3 month, but other than that was fine. :banghead:

My 14 year old has outgrown his last bike, and it finally got passed down to his younger brother. I have researched, and looked at the KLX 300 for about 3 months now, and Im thinking of it as a Christmas present.

A few Questions, if you could help me out please.

1. IS there any significant changes from 01 on up?

I have read about the Valves tightening, which seems to be an issue with most smaller bore 4 strokes nowdays. Has this been addressed anywhere in the line up?

2. Longevity.. O.k we have 6 children, 4 of which are riding age and have their own bikes. With 6 Kids I cannot afford to go out and buy a new bike every other year, so this one will be in the stable for a good 7-8 years and passed down to his younger brothers and sisters as they come up in age.

Whats the long term Outlook for the Bike? Anything that Jumps out at you as a reoccuring problem(other than the Valve issue and Kickstarter).

3. Hop up potential. Im not a Fan of the CV type carbs, They really seem to struggle on the low end. How much of a difference does a standard carb make on this machine. Also, How plugged up is it from the Factory?

All of our kids started at the Age of 4, so he gets a little bored with STOCK... But I dont want to turn it into something that is tempermental either.

I just want something for him to ride about 2-3 years, then I'll pass down My 450 EXC as I get a new one.

Reports I have read have been favorable of the bike, and I really think the light weight will agree with him in the woods. He likes the looks even.

O,h, One last thing.. I have noticed that the front brake line wraps around the front axle before running into the Caliper. It seems like this could be bad if the fork leg gets Jammed into rocks or roots, Is there a guard for this?

I appreciate your time! Thanks again!

I got a KLX for my son on his 14th Christmas! Good present! Regarding your questions:

1.) So SIGNIFICANT changes. The ACR has been relocated on 03 & up, but can be easily changed by brewster to match new specs. The idler shaft and gear were changed in '03 I believe. Not a giant difference, but if you could find a newer one it would most likely be preferable. The CS sproket mounting changed on recent bikes. The valves are the same in all the KLX's. Expect to put in new valves every 3000 miles (unofficially - straight from a Kawi factory representative)

2.) Longterm outlook is excellent. My son's KLX looks like it's been thru WW3, but runs excellent. Aside from valves. We've had our share of valve issues. Keep them shimed in spec and do not let them close down. When they close down, you are done or close to done with the valves. Replace them and preferably put in softer seats.

3.) Pumper carbs, bigger header and the "free" mods are extremely popular with the KLX's. 33m mik is good for slow tight trails. 36 mik arguably has the most power but is a bit weak on the low end - best for wide open. Keihin FCR35 - the caddilac of KLX carbs. All pumpers are more "tempermental" than CVK's. Most think they are worth it. I'm actually OK with a CVK that's got a dino jet kit or other jetting kit in it.

Fourstrokeworks.com has a brake guard, or you can replace the brake line with a Honda CR type line and bypass the problem altogether.

Good luck!

Bill

The KLX should be a good choice for your son. We picked up a like new '01 a little over a yewr ago for my then 14 yr old boy. He had been on a TTR125L. It took him a little time to adapt to the height, but on about his second ride we were on single track in the mountains. Nothing to technicle but it really built up his confidence level on the bike.

The above comments on the hop ups are all spot on. We still have the stock carb with the DJ kit and have it working very well. It is a forgiving carb for a beginner to ride, but set up right will lift the front end fairly easy. I'd put my $$$ other places first.

What part of MT are you from? We're in Ft. Benton. :banghead:

mmaxed, Im sorry, Im in NC, im not sure HOW I came to be from Montana..L

Maybe I moved last night without me knowing it?

At anyrate, Thanks for the Info Guys, You pretty much confirmed all my thoughts, Of course its better hearing it from actual owners.

I have read that the Dynojet Kit, allows the cylinder to flood during WOT, thinning the Oil and causing damage over time. ( ihave read this about the KLX only, no other machines). Any truth to this?

I run a Dynojet kit myself in several machines and have not had any issues.

You heard about the DJ rich condition from my valve thread. We had 3 KLX's in for top end rebuilds with Jerry Leighton. Jerry knows these bikes better than just about anyone, and when he saw the cylinders and how they were worn up at the top of them, this was the conclusion that he came to. The DJ sure makes the CVK run good though.

NC! That's even farther than these guys from CA. Oh well, have fun with what ever bike you decide on.

I bought a KLX300 for my 14 year old son last year. He loves the bike. Plenty of power and very reliable to date. Not too heavy and he too likes the looks of the bike (his has a KX rear fender and no headlight).