Sign in to follow this  

Proper mthod for oil check on XR?

What is the manual’s or Honda’s official recommendation for checking oil on my XR250R? I have a 1994 and have always put the kickstand on a block so the bike is completely level and checked with the dipstick just sitting and not screwed in. I know that part is correct. But should the bike be leveled on a block or simply on a level surface with kickstand down so it’s leaning slightly?

The bike just needs to be level. Also, the oil level should be checked when the engine is at operating temperature to get the proper height. There is a temperature controlled check valve at the bottom of the frame down tube that needs to be open to let the oil circulate. You can just run the bike for 3-5 minutes then shut it off and take an oil reading. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe and insert to the threads without screwing it in.

No, not for checking the oil. Just insert the dipstick until it stops on the first thread and remove it to read the oil level. Always make sure the dipstick is threaded in when the bike is running though.

No, its not that critical, Because your only checking the oil level in the frame reservoir. So if you have the bike on the stand, its not going to make much difference at all.

Because the oil pick up pipe is at the the bottom of the frame reservoir, its not critical. Just as long as its somwhere on the dipstick, that willl be fine.

So much for the expert advice

Here is what my 1988 Honda Service Manual shows:

(the 88 has almost the same engine as your 94 and the same oil setup)

ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECK

Support the motorcycle upright on level ground.

Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes.

Stop the engine. Check the oil level with the oil filler cap/dipstick by inserting it in until the threads touch the filler neck. Do not screw the cap in when making this check.

If the oil level is below the lower mark on the dipstick, fill to the upper level mark with the recommended oil.

--------------------------------------

The owners manual for my 2003 CRF230F shows:

Step 5. Hold the motorcycle upright.

(Skipping other steps)

What I do is exactly what you do; I use a small wooden block under the end of the side stand, but I also tip the bike to as nearly vertical as I can when I put the dipstick in; easy enough to do, just don't look down at the dipstick until you let the bike back down on the sidestand :banghead: