Sign in to follow this  

What size trailer to get?? Opinions please.

Quick question. What size flatbed trailer are the people hauling 4 bikes using? Thanks.

on my 8' x 7', it is relatively tight with 3 bikes.

my uncle uses a 10x10 snowmobile trailer that I have seen him put 3 facing forwar and 2 facing backward if I remember correctly.

Get a either 5X12 or a 6X10 to fit four bikes.

I have a 5X10 that is a little too small for 4 bikes. They fit, but the footpegs rub against the swingarm of the bike next to it, and cause a nice gouge in the swingarm. You need one either a little longer or a little wider to make it work well. A buddy has a custom made 5.5X10 that is just barely big enough to do it.

My 6X12 works pretty good for 4 bike but, I'm in the market for an enclosed 8X16 trailer so I have room for that toolbox & BBQ!

:banghead:

Thank you for the replies. I was kind of leaning toward a 6x12 to begin with. I just wanted to see if'n I could get away with a 5x10.

Thanks again.

I like my 5 x 10. A 6 x 12 would be nice (for the width) but I just didn't want that much trailer "in the way" in the back yard. The 5 x 10 is also easier to move around by hand.

My 6X12 will fit three across the front with offset wheel chocks. I have fit four and could fit five sandwiched in the rear of the front three.

Did that make sense?? :banghead::applause:

I fit a quad, (3) bikes, an XL dog kennel/crate, (2) gas cans, (2) folding tables and (2) coolers on a 7 x 12....

DuelRule,

I also went from an 6X12 to a 20ft enclosed,

the 6x12 worked great for 4-5 bikes and gear,

I got a great deal on an American,,,, MFG in San Diego,,, awesome warranty, great customer service and killer price,,,, they made my flatbed trailer as well, that is why i went back to them,,,

I actually got the 8X20 footer, it was the same price as the 18ft model, has a load bearing bulk head and dovetailed entrance by the ramp door...

Very nice

I have a 5x10 with low side rails (14"), just high enough to suck tires up against. Three bikes fit accross the front easily. I either put the middle one in backwards or put the front tire up against a tool box to move it back a bit. The fourth bike is tricky and ends up with the front tire up on the side rails in the rear corner as it only fits in sideways behind the the other three. If you don't have side rails you could make a 5x10 work okay. If you go with a trailer with side rails and need to transport 4 bikes more than just once, I would go 5x12 or 6x10. If your always transporting 4 bikes, you may want 6x12 just for the added space. Really depends on whether you want a trailer 7 feet wide (w/ fenders) or not. At that width it'll be wider than most rigs you might pull it with, and even worse for mid-sized SUVs. Also depends on your storage space.

Keep in mind a bike is about 8 feet long or just under. So if you get an 8 foot wide trailer, turn the bikes sideways, and go as many from handlebar to handlebar. If you go end to end, you will need a 7 wide by 16 long. I use a 7X16 and it will easily haul 4 full sized bikes.

on my 8' x 7', it is relatively tight with 3 bikes.

my uncle uses a 10x10 snowmobile trailer that I have seen him put 3 facing forwar and 2 facing backward if I remember correctly.

What the heck they make 10' wide trailers? I sure wouldn't want to drive one a lot of the roads I drive on the 6' wide ones don't really fit inbetween the lines.

I'd go either 6x12 or 6x16. I personally am liking the tandem axle 6x16's more and more but I do have to say I love my friends 6x12 with the 2' high mesh sides. I have a 5x8 as I wanted to be able to pull it with a car when I got it. I can fit 3 bikes on it or a quad and a bike but really would like to get a bigger trailer my money just keeps getting spent in other places. I really would like to get a bigger trailer with the mesh sides either a 6x12 or 6x16. I can't decide which. I'm leaning toward the 16' one as I would like to be able to haul a car on it although I'm not sure if that would be a good idea or not. Then again that one costs more.

we have a couple trialers

6x12 (everyday riding)

98"x13 enclosed (racing on weekends)

102"x30 toy hauler (camping trips)

we can fit all 5 of our bikes in all of them with ease

I have a car trailer that I use for my bikes. If I take 2 or more bikes, trailer come with me. Don't get something too small. Everyone tells me, "you take that trailer for 2 bikes" its like nothing to drive around in and I can add so many bikes in it if I want and use it for everything else when not towing bikes. It has brakes on it too. You can get them for about 1500 bucks. Good luck.

Keep in mind a bike is about 8 feet long or just under. So if you get an 8 foot wide trailer, turn the bikes sideways, and go as many from handlebar to handlebar. If you go end to end, you will need a 7 wide by 16 long. I use a 7X16 and it will easily haul 4 full sized bikes.

Ditto on this. I sold my 7x10 single axle for a 7x14 dual axle.

The new trailer pulls easier and it's amazing how much difference 4' makes in the amount of gear you can carry.:banghead: