Chainsaw Packing?

This is NOT a cheap solution:

The rack:

Promoto Billet Rack for EXC

The chainsaw mount:

Chainsaw mount

If riding season is here and that means clearing for your favorite trail! Carry your saw the safe way. This is the same system that the Idaho Parks and Recreation Department uses for their trail clearing program. Now you have an easy way to carry that saw instead of stuffing it in your backpack. There is a 3/4" rubber pad to help cushion the saw and a UHMW plastic insert around the bar to protect the chain and dogs from damage, all of this is mounted on a 1/4" thick aluminum base plate. It comes with all of the hardware needed to mount it to the "Rack-It" and a removable scabbard. This adapter was designed for use with saws that have the gas filler necks at the handle end of the saw (such as the Stihl). Extreme caution should be used when carrying any type of hazardous cargo!

cscarrier.jpg

John Davies

you can take an aluminum frame from a backpack, and bolt the saw onto it. The blade sticks out to the side, and of course you have a cover on it. But for trail maintenence, when you really are not riding, and doing lots of mounts/dismounts to cut timber, this is quick and easy and is a preferred method in these parts. you come to a downed tree, dismount your bike, pull your backpack/chainsaw off your back, pull of the blade cover, fire it up, cut the tree, put the pack assembly back on, and off you go. Make sure you put a strap the runs between each shoulder strap, across your chest to prevent the pack from shifting sideways on your back.

you can take an aluminum frame from a backpack, and bolt the saw onto it. The blade sticks out to the side, and of course you have a cover on it.

I'd like to see a pic of that.

So you run the saw while it is still bolted to the backpack? That sounds kind of strange - doesn't the frame and harness get in the way? I would worry about tripping over the straps while maneuvering the saw and getting hurt.

John

I'd like to see a pic of that.

So you run the saw while it is still bolted to the backpack? That sounds kind of strange - doesn't the frame and harness get in the way? I would worry about tripping over the straps while maneuvering the saw and getting hurt.

John

It is no problem at all. the straps are not loose enough to trip over. and yes, the saw still works while connected to the frame. If I can scrounge a digital cam I will get a pic for you.