running HIDs

is anyone running HIDs on their TC/TE?

I am looking to run a trailtech.net 8" HID. I called and they said the stator would need rewound ($90) and a rectifier ($30) required???? I explained that I already have DC power (electric start) and that I didn't understand why I would need a rectifier, the person seemed to insist it is required but I don't know if I was talking to a technician or just some phone person.

if anyone has ran an HID I'd like to hear your setup.

Don't know jack about bike electrics Trav, but you might call Baja Designs and get their take on it. If they also said you would need the rectifier for their HID setup, then perhaps the TrailTech guy is correct.

If they tell you otherwise, then perhaps you got a knucklehead and a call back to double check is in order.

I think the reason you need to run their rectifier is because they convert the stator to DC only by floating the ground(May be wrong term) I know on the wr that it's ac for the lights and dc for the battery. For my DS kit i was supposed to mod the stator and run a baja/trail tech rectifier.

I'd check with baja about doing the stator mod. For my wr it's only $35...maybe you'll get lucky and the husky is the same.

The TT store may also be able to save ya a few bucks. They are setup with Baja Designs and Trailtech :banghead:

I have just gotten a set of HID's for my TE 510.

They are trick. I'll post some pics--litteraly just picked the bike up from Baja Designs today...going riding with them this weekend.

The stock flywheel works fine. Re-wind, add a regulator, add some lights, and you are good to go.

Call Dan at BD-he has done more TC/TE's than ya might think--in fact there was another Husky-a TE450-getting an HID while i was there.

I went with the dual light set up-but if you are just trail riding or racing slower races than one light should be fine.

I'm also interested in a single 8" HID or Halogen for night trail riding in the winter. Trail Tech lights are about 1/2 the price of BD lights, are they half as good? Since I won't be riding at warp speeds will a halogen work? My WR250 has a 130w coil and I'm not sure about my TE400. I'd swap it between bikes, when the snow gets deep the 2 stroke is easier to ride. Irondude, are your lights mounted to forks or steering head?

Thanks, Norman

P.S. I just checked and the TE400 is also 130w coil.

I'm also interested in a single 8" HID or Halogen for night trail riding in the winter. Trail Tech lights are about 1/2 the price of BD lights, are they half as good? Since I won't be riding at warp speeds will a halogen work? My WR250 has a 130w coil and I'm not sure about my TE400. I'd swap it between bikes, when the snow gets deep the 2 stroke is easier to ride. Irondude, are your lights mounted to forks or steering head?

Norman, you'd probably be just fine with the Tecate light from Baja D. It's pretty good and light weight and would be better suited for trails than an 8".

If $ is for sure a factor then look for a used xr400/600/650 front # plate and get the OEM glass lens and use a 100w bulb. That light throws an excellent pattern and is very nice and inexpensive. You can also move it from bike to bike really simple, just rubber fork straps.

Irondudes new light is sweet. He's probably out at the desert right now waiting for the sun to set.

It sits in the receivers on the forks, same as most of the Baja D. race lights.

The light Iron has is so far the only one like it made. It was actually my light and we tested it a few weeks ago. Iron saw it and got a bonner for it and he needs it sooner than I do (Oct. vs Nov.) so it became his.

He'll use it next week at Vegas To Reno and that will be a good short test before the 1000 (where we'll both use this new light set up) to see how the top light holds up.

It's an 8" Baja D. modified pencil with the newest Baja D. lens (they make their own lenses) with the Baja D. "Diablo" light up above the 8" light. It sounds tall but it's not at all a problem. Can't even feel the lights up there, it's weighted perfectly.

Wait 'till AluminumDude posts a pic of it.

BBM,

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Tecate. In the winter we're out blasting on whooped out snowmobile trails in the dark and stock lights are a little lacking at times. Last two years the snow has been too deep to ride tight woods trails.

Norman

Below are some pics of what Tim's talking about (thanks for letting us swoop in and snatch up these sweet lights!).

This is about as trick as off-road lighting gets:

Quick change dual HID's pulling 110 watts. Total weight is a hair over 6 pounds.

OEM flywheel. rewound stator. Total bike electrical system pulls 12.5-13 amps, at idle it has a very very very slight draw down on the battery with both HID's on.

These are a new design from Baja Designs--as Tim pointed out. They are really trick and just the ticket for the lighter faster new 4 strokes.

I hammered the bike in really tight stuff today/tonight and could barely feel the units. Curiously at high speed they act as a slight fairing. Tried lots of jumps and the bike wasnt unbalanced at all.

The light output is unlike anything this side of a 747 landing at night.

With one pencil and one wide angle its really a nice set up.

Big shout-out to Baja Designs for making yet another awesome product!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/huskypics2008.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/huskypics2006.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/huskypics2005.jpg

Post a pic taken from the side, just up above the bar height (sorta pointing down) so it shows the mounts since someone was asking how it mounted. And get the shadows outta there.

Yeah, I noticed that "fairing" effect too on the fast roads. It was cool. And the reason we (Tex and I) started talking about smaller lights (rather than twin 8"ers) was to help eliminate "pushing" too much air - wind resistance. It's funny how it worked out.

The pattern that light throws is awesome.

And for faster events like the '06 B.1000 you can change the focal point of the pencil bulb to concentrate more light at a farther distance and I doubt the 510 would be able to out run the light. It's a killer set up Baja D has done.

Call em and ask for Dan or Tex. They know about these lights. The guys up front might not yet know about them....i think they are going to call these

"dakar style" lights...but not sure.

My Husky wont be the only red bike using these lights in the baja 1000!

These lights remind me of the 60's/70's when light were on top of each other. :banghead: I have an old setup just about like this that I have cannibalized over the years to fit different bikes forks. A SO on the bottom and either a Cibi rectangle, 180 or Pia 8" light above. Mine are halogen of course, 55 watts each, but the thought is the same. Nice light setup guys. :banghead: Steny

looks like I'll be putting a call into bajadesigns, that light looks F'in awesome!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....... I'm thinking that a "head"-light is not the head that bike needs right now :banghead:

Is that thing gonna be ready for the 25 hour? If you have to spend all your money on the top end let me know, you can borrow my Acerbis DHH, it's low dollar but it will light it up pretty good :banghead:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....... I'm thinking that a "head"-light is not the head that bike needs right now?

Is that thing gonna be ready for the 25 hour? If you have to spend all your money on the top end let me know, you can borrow my Acerbis DHH, it's low dollar but it will light it up pretty good :banghead:

yep, I've put off the order on the HID for now.

it sounds like husky is going to cover the parts (I think). but the head will need machined, so be a few bucks there, and sure there will be some other items out of pocket.

I'll take you up on the acerbis :banghead: