Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Engine Rebuild Kit?

Do you guys know if anyone sells an XR400 engine rebuild kit?

I say kit as in complete engine bearings/seals/gaskets rather than having to source them all seperately!

I'd like to tear mine down before i go ahead & install my (soon to arrive from TX) 426 kit & hot cam!

BTW....USA is a f*******g awesome country, visited for 1st time this year, can't wait to return!

Cheers.......Geoff (UK)

1999 XR400, Airbox De'Snorkelled, Backfire Screen Removed, FMF Q Pipe, CRD Headers, 60-160 Jets (Sea Level) Progressive Fork Springs...

Not sure, would'nt it be good seeing as i'm gonna stick a 426 kit in it soon?

Or do you reckon she'll be ok on the old bearings?

Was just thinking it'd be nice to check out the internals while i've got the engine half stripped down :banghead:

a couple of guys i know have 400's they have engine knock on the crank from the connecting rod, never heard of the crankshaft bearings going on these bikes

The rod will wear out long before the crank bearings. I'd say when it goes then change the bearings.

Honda and a couple aftermarket companies sell gasket kits. It will have everything needed for a full rebuild. The center case gasket will be a leftover.

Honda sells an "upper" and "lower" kit that includes all of the gaskets and seals you need for each half of motor.

I had the local shop buy both kits and replace all of those parts (along with the piston rings) because they were tearing the motor apart anyway (to do something else). I might still have the paperwork with the part numbers for those 2 kits on it; I'll check tonight and post them tomorrow if I can find 'em.