Sign in to follow this  

Tire Recommendations

Need some help in proper trail tires and size. Here is what has already been discussed on another open thread. Thanks for any help.

Simply ~

Quote:

Originally Posted by loynz

Do you have a set of off road rims and tires for your SM? The street slicks might work on a dirt road, but they'll be misery on the trail!

No, not yet. I will be getting a set, just not sure when.
Originally Posted by SimplyMe

The tires on my DRz are Dunlop:

front:120/70 R17 m/c 58h

back:140/70 R17 m/c 66h

Does that help?

Thanks for yours... is appreciated

Originally Posted by loynz...There are more aggressive tires that will fit your 17" rims, but you would probably be better off getting a set of off road rims/tires (21" front + 18" rear). That way you would have the best tire for each application. The SM has the RMZ suspension, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, I don't know if off road DRZ wheels will fit the SM. Someone in the DRZ forum might know the answer to this dilemma!

I know a few companies make a rear knob in 17".

Finding an aggressive front might be an issue.

What percentage are you going to ride dirt?

Will you ride in mud & soft dirt?

There are a lot more choices in the 90/10 street/dirt category then the 50/50 for 17"

If you can afford it and want to ride tougher trails getting a spare set of 21/18 is the way to go.

Then you wont be compromising on a too aggressive street tire on the dirt & visa versa.

you would be better-off buying a used front 21" rim than trying to fit a trail tire to the 17" (I didn't see what rim size you have but all your quotes are for sm (17") rims). The advantage of the large rim size is its ability to go over stuff. Rocks that are hardly felt with the 21" are going to put you on your head with the 17" front rim. the rear rim is no problem: the dr650 and many others come with that size and there are many good tires available. Because of the many sm conversions, you should have no trouble finding a used one for little more $ than a set of tires.