Sign in to follow this  

2006 525 EXC vs. 525 XC

I am about to purchase my first KTM :applause:. It will be used for "Dual-Sporting" but my priority is off-road with the on-road part just being a necessity for participating in DS AMA Sanctioned Rides and short hops between trails. My riding environment is varied from single track mountain to dunes with no racing or MX for this old fart. So should I stick with the prooven "good in any situation" EXC or go for the XC which although it is new and "untested", is derived from a combination of existing KTM Models :banghead: .

So far I know the XC has a 3.4 ga. tank, closer ratio trans., adjustable SX suspension, better triple clamps, and no lights or computer. The lights have to be purchased in a DS Kit anyway and so the after-market computer is an additional expense but this will be off-set by not buying an after-market gas tank.

I am looking for either Links to tests or first hand comparisons between the EXC and new XC 525 model, performance wise only. Also wondering how the KTM stock computer compares to available a-m computers. Please, no discussion about getting a plate or recommendations that I should get a different Brand in this Thread. 🤣 Save it for another forum and/or thread.

Thanks for your input.

No words of wisdom from anyone ? I am speechless that all my fellow TT'rs are speechless. Looks like I'll be a guinea pig on the XC if I go that route. Dirt Bike calls the XC's "Simply Stunning" on their Sept. cover but fail to say why on the inside and barely even mention the 525 other than the size of its tank.

Seen as I am new to the world of flying Pumpkins, tell me this...What is KTM's reputation with new Models or do you think that this being a combo of other Models makes it a pretty safe bet so far as reliability?

If you don't know about ktmtalk.com, that is a much better resource for this type of information. There are quite a few new xc owners on that forum that can give you the answers you're looking for. You can probably just read the forums without even having to ask. Everything I've read so far about the xc has been great. I even read an entire thread the other day discussing enduro computers vs the stock ktm unit. Watchdog seems to be the favorite, but the new Trailtech Lynx looks like a good replacement for not a lot of money. Good luck.

If you don't know about ktmtalk.com, that is a much better resource for this type of information. There are quite a few new xc owners on that forum that can give you the answers you're looking for. You can probably just read the forums without even having to ask. Everything I've read so far about the xc has been great. I even read an entire thread the other day discussing enduro computers vs the stock ktm unit. Watchdog seems to be the favorite, but the new Trailtech Lynx looks like a good replacement for not a lot of money. Good luck.

Thanks Scott...I did a search on KTMTALK with no luck regarding the XC Line but will try again and I will search for info on the computers.

I have not ridden the 525XC, but it does not have the adjustable billet triple clamps like the 450XC does.

I have not ridden the 525XC, but it does not have the adjustable billet triple clamps like the 450XC does.

I wonder why not?!

:banghead:

HMMMM? Dealer said it does. Have you seen them ?

I have not seen one, expected it to have the tricky T clamp like the 450XC does. The differences are pretty minor between EXC & XC, XC is a bit racyer with slightly closer set of gear ratios, has the behmoth tank, no kick stand, spark arrestor, puter or lights but the transmission will make it a bit more of a hot rod yet still have a good range of gears. XC would be my choice

I have an '05 525 EXC and could not be more pleased - as another old fart, that's what I would suggest for you. There are still some '05s around for excellent prices. The money you save will buy all your dual sport goodies as well as a bigger tank, and you will probably have enough left over for a new set of boots.

John Davies' KTM Page

John

For either Model I need a Dual-Sport Kit.

For the EXC I would need a bigger tank, for the XC a computer and kickstand.

Beyond that skids and guards would be the same for either model and a 06 XC would be less than $500 more than a 05 EXC.

But the spark arrestor is a must have here in CA., been checked for a few times. I would really like to know first hand how the low end grunt compares with the EXC.

Dealer said the 525 XC tranny is a hybrid but, he also said the trip clamps are adjustable.

I was all set in my mind with the EXC but then the XC came along. I know I'd be happy with the EXC but don't wanna have any regrets either.

Look at the pictures on the KTM website. Look at the triple clamps on the XC models, then look at the EXC's, XC-W's and 525 XC. You will have to use the "zoom in" feature below the picture, but you will be able to tell that the 525 XC has the old triple clamp.

Considering all the pluses and minuses, I would recommend the EXC over the XC for dual sport conversion. They are easy to dual sport utilizing the stock lighting, plus they already have a spark arrestor, kickstand and most importantly a wider ratio tranny. The main things you'd need to add would be turn signals, wire in the brake light, horn, mirror and a larger gas tank. :banghead:

I've got an 06 525 XC. It has the "old" non-adjustable offset triple clamps, and it DOES have a kickstand if thats important to ya.

I have decided to go with a new 2005 ($700 less than 2006) EXC. Tried and true, more suited to dual-sport, I don't race, and there is already a wealth of knowledge and after-market parts available for them.

:banghead: