It's Raining in Eastern Washington 9/30/05

At least in my portion of Eastern Washington it is raining hard. That means Ellensburg and Taneum are getting hit good as I write. If it keeps pouring like this it may be a good day tomorrow. No dust that's for sure. Hopefully these clouds will empty themselves out by tomorrow. :banghead:

Thanks for the rain report, Old_Man. I love it over there when it's tacky for those precious weeks before the snow. We've been snorting around Lion Rock, Greendots to Dutchmens flat, Wenatchee mountain etc. Someday we'll meet on the trail.

Tom

-----> movie: Big log on Owl Creek trail

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/naneum_biglogCRF.mov

Thanks for the rain report, Old_Man. I love it over there when it's tacky for those precious weeks before the snow. We've been snorting around Lion Rock, Greendots to Dutchmens flat, Wenatchee mountain etc. Someday we'll meet on the trail.

Tom

-----> movie: Big log on Owl Creek trail

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/naneum_biglogCRF.mov

Nice technique Tom :banghead:

Wow Tom, That's great! I encountered an elevated log on a local trail yesterday I was too chicken to attempt. Narrow downhill / sidehill trail, log probably about that high. I was afraid I would spin and plow into it instead. I wound up having to backtrack and explore the old logging roads to catch the trail past the log.

I'm going to have to learn how to do that!

Rob

Wow Tom, That's great! I encountered an elevated log on a local trail yesterday I was too chicken to attempt. Narrow downhill / sidehill trail, log probably about that high.

Start by practicing where it's level, flat and plenty of space all around. Soon you will know enough to NEVER attempt it downhill, or on a narrow sidehill trail and certainly not both! ......unless you're 26 years old with rubber bones..... -Tom

Start by practicing where it's level, flat and plenty of space all around. Soon you will know enough to NEVER attempt it downhill, or on a narrow sidehill trail and certainly not both! ......unless you're 26 years old with rubber bones..... -Tom

Thanks for the advice!

Well, in this case, stuff was so dense that I wouldn't have really gone anywhere all that unpleasent, except of course strait into the log (probably with my face). I've just never attempted one quite that high. There are actually not all that many places up here in N. Idaho where it's level, flat with plenty of space all around... ;-)

Rob

Hi Rob, Well as you can see in the video this one was a level log, level ground and space all around, a rare occurrence except in parking lots and campgrounds. It's on Owl creek trail in Naneum. After I crossed it the other guys (mountain bikers who bought Yamahas!) pulled out a **handsaw** and cut it. I love riding with mountain bikers, they're completely oblivious to the suffering.

Here's another big'un

20050704NegroLog.jpg

In this case my chainsaw was only big enough to cut a couple kickers. I took this photo to show the kicker log set in front, there's another in back (not visible). The kickers makes this big log actually easier than the one in the video because the bike frame kinda rolls over the large diameter. Need a kicker on both sides. The back one gets you up without the bike rotating so high (wheelie) and the front one shoves the tire forward to keep you from endo-ing as the bike rotates over the log.

2-fiddy-X loves logs!

• 4 weeks later...

Tom,

That is a GREAT ride over that log ... and I'll bet you would've done just as well on your old XR400R! I'm curious about carrying chainsaws. I'm wondering if you've seen anyone with a CRF450R with a rear rack? I'm contacting PMB right now to see if their's will fit my old 2002! I'm also curious about some front end triple clamp aluminum platforms I've seen. Either of these approaches would be preferable to the backpack I've previously used!

Byron

ps that old emap you sold me continues to do fine duty!