Sign in to follow this  

mc and bubba's starts

i'm am a shiet starter, i watch dvd of MC and bubba's starts to improve mine.

it seems to me they purposely roll the back tyre edge to edge in there first 20m of there start looking like there a bit out of control.

but is this a technic to dig the corner of the tyre in to the dirt and get more traction?

to me they seem to purposely lean the bike from side to side(left to right) in the first 20m or so of the start, if the soil is of a type they need more traction.

like they not actually going in a straight line they are weeving within a less than 1m strip.

might possibley be so, i dont know. but they look like there out of control and they pull the start, the guys who look neat and straight get left behind even if its an equil jump.

there not actually sliding in the rear, it is like they loose balance, i guess youd have to watch some sx starts to see what i mean,

i thought it may be a technique to where the edges of the tyre gets better traction, but maybe it is nothing.

BigIvy,

I'm not sure how much it has to do with traction but I do it starting or wherever to "attack" the track. What I mean is instead of just sitting there waiting for something to happen I'm constantly moving my bike side to side so if something does happen I'm automatically in the process of correcting it. So to me what they are doing by moving side to side is to make sure the bike is hooking up and if it starts to spin out one way or another they are ready to correct it.

A couple other ways to think about it, not sure you're ever played infield in baseball but when you're getting ready for the pitcher to deliver you don't stand there flat footed. You crouch over and get a little side to side movement so you already have your body moving to get a jump on the ball no matter where it's hit.

Same with tennis, take a look at a tennis player when they're getting ready to receive a serve, again they are going side to side anticipating where the ball may be going.

To me the same with what you are seeing, they are moving the bike in anticipation of the bike doing something. The guys that just sit there you'll notice when things don't go just right, their backends start swapping and since they have no anticipation a lot of time they have to correct with the clutch or decreasing power.

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to "scare" the people around them. If you see someone crossing over your line, and they are out in front, most the time you have to slow down to avoid hitting them. Maybe that's what they do?

to me they seem to purposely lean the bike from side to side(left to right) in the first 20m or so of the start, if the soil is of a type they need more traction.

like they not actually going in a straight line they are weeving within a less than 1m strip.

Have you ever done a burn out? It wants to go to one side or the other, well,, so does a high HP pro bike when launched. So they are counter balancing the bike so it doesn't go out of control to one side or the other. As it starts to go to one side they lean the other way, and so forth.

Try drag racing! It will give you a whole new respect for launching a motorcycle and even tho it takes a street bike it will help your dirt launches. Body position is crucial, rpms must be exact and clutch release must be presice to get the best launch/holeshot.

cheers with my starts i need all the help i can get.

sometimes i think its mental, even when i play mx unleashed i like to blow the starts and come from behind, what a looser i can be.

Have you ever done a burn out? It wants to go to one side or the other, well,, so does a high HP pro bike when launched. So they are counter balancing the bike so it doesn't go out of control to one side or the other. As it starts to go to one side they lean the other way, and so forth.

:banghead:

Took the words right out of my mouth!

If you want to copy somebodies style for starts, Mike Alessi is your guy. Nobody has ever started as fast as that guy. His holeshot percentage is crazy high...I think its like 38% or something.

i have to agree here, i remember watching him before he turned pro at lake whitney, he demolished those guys on the starts

It also helps that mikey is a lightweight.

Something like 135 ? ?

I remember hearing Milsaps whining about starts, because he weighs about 185, and he was saying that him and the other big guys were having a hard time getting good starts. :banghead:

It also helps that mikey is a lightweight.

Something like 135 ? ?

I remember hearing Milsaps whining about starts, because he weighs about 185, and he was saying that him and the other big guys were having a hard time getting good starts. :banghead:

Thats a valid point, but Alessi has them wacked at 2 feet off the gate. I bet that guy is some kind of world champion at XboX. His timing and reflexes are something special.

Id like to see him and John Force do a Yellow to Green light race on those practice computers. Id bet Alessi would be right on Forces ass if not ahead...

If Alessi gets his ass kicked out of MX, which is completely possible :banghead: he's got a promising carrer in Drag racing...

the roost is a weapon, might as well try to blast every one before the first turn. would be

nice and these guys have the talent and bikes to do it.