Sign in to follow this  

How do you contour the seat foam after cutting?

I cut about 1 1/2" of foam out of my seat, it really helped. But it's not very smooth, the foam chunked some as I cut it. How do I get it smooth again? I'm guessing that a belt sander might not be the best choice? :banghead:

IDK but I would think you cut from the bottom of the seat to preserve the contour on the top. Probably draw a line that matches the contour along the bottom but 1.5" up form the bottom and then cut to that

Put the base in the freezer

Use an electric knife like used for meat

I have used very coarse sandpaper and hand sand. Some people use power sanders with sucess.

After cutting with a turkey carver I went with a belt sander. Take your time and use very little pressure. If you force it the sander will start to bounce around. Depending on what kind of seat cover you have you may need to order a differant one.

When we did mine, after the initial cut, we used a sureform - its like a cheesegrater - and them went over it with a few different grades of sand paper. Smooth as silk. Just take your time. A few craters in it should be okay depending where they are cause the seat cover still goes over it. Make sure you spray it with some 3M waterproofer.

I used a high speed pneumatic sander to smooth the seat after cutting with my wife's carving knife. It worked great. You have to be very careful because it will dig in fast. My seat looks like it came that way stock.

For finishing those sandpaper blocks of foam are awesome. Kind of like a sponge, foam in the middle with sandpaper on the outside.

The professionals use a sanding disc, or belt.

Before re-covering, glue a layer of thin foam over the seat sponge to take up any imperfections. That's the way I did mine and it came out as good as stock.Picture.

Neil. :banghead::applause:

I used a Random Orbital Sander ( Say that ten times fast) with 60 and 120 grit pads. You will need to take your time to make it smooth as possible. If you have chunking where you don't want it, you could glue that piece back together. I also used a steamer (my wife has one for clothes) to stretch the seat cover like they do on the discovery channel on the hot rod and bike shows. :banghead::applause:

Before re-covering, glue a layer of thin foam over the seat sponge to take up any imperfections. That's the way I did mine and it came out as good as stock Neil. :banghead::applause:

+1

Thin foam or foam batting from a craft store will cover any mistakes in the seat foam once you put the seat cover back on.

I had no luck with random orbital sander, but a regular disk type sander attachment that fits into a variable speed drill worked great. Course sanding disk. Slow speed. Makes a big mess too.