Sign in to follow this  

new pistons, old pistons?

i was just wondering wen u would know wen it is time to get a new piston in the xr :banghead: . right now mine is running great, except it smokes like a grey smoke wen im warming it up. but other than that it runs awesome :applause: . it just seems that my xr is like indestructableūü§£ . should i change the rings as well, if i change the piston? and does anybody know where to get a nice but inexpensive piston and rings?

a compression test is likely the first thing you want to do, but will not really evaluate the condition of the cylinder and head.A better all around test is a leakdown test.

I strongly recommend sticking with a OEM piston as long as you can, Honda pistons are superior to many aftermarket pistons.They are available in standard oversise then you have to go with aftermarket pistons like Je or Wiseco ect

where to get a nice but inexpensive piston and rings?

i don't recommend going cheap on this , it does not payoff in the longrun, stick with original Honda parts for as long as you can.

It is possible to only change the rings BUT the biggest problem is piston , rings and cylinder don't wear at the same rate.

In order to evaluate wear its very important to measure the above mentioned parts carefully and take a decision based on the results.

If its only the odd puff of grey smoke on startup i'de keep running it untill it gets worse , even a motor which smokes like a 2 stroke still makes some power , my guess you have a long way to go before you get there.

Keep riding it , sounds like its doing great

stu