Sign in to follow this  

50 tooth rear sprocket

I heard by putting on a 50 tooth rear sprocket on that it helps with the gap between 2nd and 3rd and makes 2nd gear more usable. What do you guys think and what gearing do you run?

And the bike is a 2005 CRF250R.

I run 52 and it helps me roll 3rd out of corners. I am curious about the 50 because naturally the 52 doesn't pull gears long.

On my 250R, I've tried going both directions (up and down a tooth). With the 52, I ran through 2nd and 3rd very quickly. Unless you ride tight trails or somewhere with a lot of hill climbs (that don't have a lot of run up), be prepared for a lot of shifting.

I like the 50 tooth much better. 2nd pulls longer, and 3rd lasts through most of the tracks and trails I ride... all except open desert riding.

I had the 50 tooth on my 05R. I like it on fast, open tracks, but when tracks have tight 180 turns 2nd gear is too weak. The bigest improvement I noticed was having the rear wheel further back with the 50 tooth sprocket. :banghead:

I have a 04 and ride very tight and steep trails. Had to go down to a 13 front. The problem is that the top gear was too low for the highway and now is much worse. With the stock gearing, I had boil overs from slipping the clutch too much. When I go to the desert, I switch back. The thing really needed 6 gears like the XR 250 it replaced.

Haven't tried the 50 but went to 51 on my 04 (52 Stock). Second gear was too short with the 52 and I was constantly shifting. The 51 seems to fit my riding style and I have noticed that I don't get arm pump b/c of the reduced shifting. I ride MX mainly and the 51 works well on the tracks I've been to.