Sign in to follow this  

Ever tear an ACL?

Anybody ever tear there acl while they were riding?

I tore one at a practice for a grand prix a couple of weeks ago. I skipped the actual grand prix, but I borrowed a brace and raced the enduro that sunday(my whole reason for going). I still got first in my class and got fourth overall beating 60+ other guys. I have surgery this wednesday so I don't get to do the remaining five races this season and all the year end points I racked up are now worthless all for a practice for a race I didn't really care that much about anyway :banghead: I'm not trying to brag I just thought that was cool/sad

Not riding...did mine playing football. Got some cadaver meat in the knee now (along with a boat load of arthritis).

Canadianriverrider, why are you having surgery now? The horse is all ready out of the barn, why don't you finish the season if you can. Allof my enduro guys who need their ACL reconstructed have theirs planned for after the season. The extra time you spend getting your knee in shape can only help you.

Unfortunately most docs want to rush you into the operating room and make you believe that this must be done right away.

I agree with drmark if it does not bother you too much then wait.I had it done a few weeks ago and I wish that I had the right info before hand. There are several options out there. Cadaver graft, patella graph,hamstring graph, and opposite knee patella graph. I hope that I never have to do it again but if I do I will have the opposite knee patella graph. Check your options and your recovery time before getting cut. Also get your knee in shape before your surgery that way the recovery will be easier. Just my opinion.

Like drmark said, if you can ride do it. I blew mine out July 4th. I rode with it about 3 weeks and then ended up popping my knee out and tearing my MCL too. I quit after that. I just had some torn meniscus removed and the doc also wanted to get a closer look at my ACL. He couldnt get my leg to move doing lochmans and the MRI was sort of blurry. He said once I was sedated and the excess fluid was removed from my knee, my leg was very loose. So I am going back to see him Thursday to schedule my ACL replacement. I am looking at doing either cadaver or the method drmark always talks about, being the opposite patellar tendon. I need to have the conversation with him first. I am not going to do the hamstring because I used to get alot of cramping in my leg no matter how much water or stretching I did and also I dont want to rehab that too. Good luck man. It sucks I know.

Gonzo, you have to convince him to do the opposite patella tendon. If you can't convince him, come to Houston. You will be riding before 90 days

Eric H. is a wise man.

Gonzo, you have to convince him to do the opposite patella tendon. If you can't convince him, come to Houston. You will be riding before 90 days

Eric H. is a wise man.

How does the removing of the patella from the opposite knee effect that knee afterwards? I mean, if the patella is partly gone you would think it would weaken it a bit. Then you would have two weak knees.

On the first day after the graft harvest, the knee is a littl sore, but it can move through a full range of motion. On the second day, a strengthenig program is initiated to cause hypertrophy of the remainig patella tendon.

This is complete by three months, but must be done in order to get back to sports.

No one EVER complains about their graft knee again.

I tore mine in a race, finished the race and rode until Dr Mark operated (horse is already out of the barn as he put it) Dr Mark and I went riding the day before he fixed mine....wanted to keep an eye on him and make sure he wasn't gonna be hung over monday morning :banghead:

Oh, and I was back in less than 90 days using the patella from the other leg. My ACL leg was able to rehab harder/sooner than it would have been able to with a hamstring or same leg patella graft.

You're from Texas, come let Dr Mark fix it right the first time....I know 20 or so of his surgery patients and not one poor result. Not many doctors can get the results Dr Mark does as consistently as he does

Even with a brace on when I put force on it like catching myself on a turn or going off a jump, the thing kinda moves to the side and hurts like :banghead:

The first race for next season is at the end of January, Id rather skip the rest of this season and be fairly healed for next year. If I have to skip the first couple I can, I get two drops a year. Thanks for the advice though.

So drmark, what is the reasoning behind harvesting the patellar tendon from the opposite knee.

Originally Posted by drmark or another thumper talk post

The patella graft has bone attached at the ends. The hamstring graft has not. The bone to bone healing occurs by one month so early return to sports is possible after three months. The hamstring tendon has to heal to bone. That is an uncertain process. Hamstring patients have to sit out a year.

Both will work okay. The question is how long do you want to sit out. My experience is that MXers (myself included) are interested in doing everything fast. So it is your decision.

BTW I have revised dozens of hamstring grafts and cadaver grafts to patella tendons in MXers. I have never done the reverse. I think that for non contact sports hamstrings are okay, but MX is beyond a contact sport. Its in its own category.

Happily, I have never installed anything but the opposite patella tendon in an MXer in two years. Many of my guys are on this website, most though live on houstonmotocross.com. None of the MX athletes are ever

posted by Kevin Sonnier, Houston MXer, screen NeverWas found on the same post of TT.com

Nevermind what your doctor would like to do, if you plan on riding after surgery, use the patella graft. If you don't plan on riding or living an active lifestyle, use one of the other grafts.

The Doc re-did mine and countless other non-patella grafts....they will fail under the stresses of motocross more times than they won't. I don't know a motocrosser that hasn't had a non-patella graft re done at least once. Local pros Sean Kirby, Todd Kirby and Jeff Dement have had 11 acl surgeries between them before they had their last patella graft surgeries done.

If your doctor prefers another method....come on down to Texas and let Dr Sanders fix you up right. Being back on the bike in a couple of months isn't too bad either (although if you ask your doctor if that's possible, he will probably look at you like you grew a ***** on your forehead)

To sum up, why the opposite patella tendon.

1. Both knees share equally in a modest rehab problem, as opposed to one knee with an near insurmountable problem.

2. Neither knee is very sore or debilitated from the operation, as opposed to what you are used to hearing about ACL reconstructions. Patients can walk without crutches or braces and a normal gait from the night of surgery onward through the return to sports.

3. In rehab, the ACL knee works on ROM.while the graft knee works on strength from day one and completed in three months. Both are done and complteted at the same time.

4. This is compared to three months work on ROM, then another three months work on strengthening, and return to sports at minimum six months, if there are no complications. Remember, a basic prinicple of rehab is you cant strengthen the muscles around a stiff joint. First motion, then strengthening.

4. Reoperation rate approaches zero. No MX athlete has had a retear, a reoperation or return to sports later than three months.

5. Return to sports at three months

Thats some reasons. If you want more, my cell phone is listed below.