Sign in to follow this  

dual sporting a 2000 wr400f

hey i just bought blinkers horn flaser unit for blinkers a blinker /high/lowbeam/horn switch ... bassiclly everything but liscense plate holder and mirrors. (for 130 bucks) this is my question!

what do i do with it!!! i have a wr400f 2000 kick start no electric start can i run horn and blinkers off same power supply as the head light and tail/brake light? or do i have to do something special! ive tried searching on the forums and either im just a complete moron or im just not typing the correct things in for hte search if you all could help me i would appreciate it!

Check out this thread:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159151&highlight=diagram

but don't listen to PDBLUE. You can use the stock AC regulator with no problems. If you want to learn more, search for posts by me for word such as dual sport, wiring, and diagram.

Here's some advice that I hope you take to heart. First, DO NOT BUY A KIT! You can do this yourself. Second, SOLDER EVERYTHING! No connectors or bullet plugs anywhere except off of the battery (use 2-pole SAE plugs) and the bullet plug from the stator. Everywhere else use solder and heat shrink insulation. My wiring diagram works. Now go forth and dual sport!

All I can speak from is personal experience. I used the rectifier/regulator from Baja designs (which looks like every other aftermarket rectifier/regulator on the market) and had horrible results. The lights were always dim, the voltage would climb to over 16 volts, the turns signals would not work without revving the engine...basically the whole lighting system was underpowered. Also, I went through 3 of them in 3 years. When it wasn't weak it was blowing bulbs. Once it killed my GPS from overvoltage. Fast forward to me getting disgusted enough to rewire the whole thing. I wired up my system following the wiring diagram I provided above. I bought a 20 amp recifier for 3 bucks at a surplus electronics shop in Winter Park. I used the stock AC regulator, which is deisgned to be used on this bike. A friend of mine has been using this system on his '01 WR426 since '01 with no troubles. I was always irritated because his lights were always so bright and mine were so weak. Now, my lights are bright and voltage stays where it should.

You dual sport kit sellers are in the business of making money so you will tell us anything whether or not it's true.

1st of all I see you are in washington ..Sorry to kill your hopes but the washington state patroll will never sign it off if the titile says off road use only on it.

Dale,

I'm not implying you are a bad person. But you are a salesman. Unfortunately, one has to take what a salesman says with a grain of salt.

I have nothing to gain personally (except that warm fuzzy feeling one gets when one helps his fellow man) by wcrhillbilly getting his bike setup correctly. Heck, I even considered picking up the rectifier for him on my next trip to the aforementioned electronics surplus store. And sending it to him at no profit. They are $3-$3.50 each (it's been a year since I bought mine so the prices may have risen a little and it seems like I'm there every other Saturday, anyway) and I would sell them for what I paid.

I guess I'm so jaded by my dual sport kit experience that I don't want any fellow TT'ers to go through the same thing I did. Sorry if I came off like a jerk.

And, if you read my post, my setup rectifies AC to DC so I can charge a 1.2 a-h sealed lead acid battery and run everything off the DC battery. The rectifier is hardly bigger than a piece of bubble gum and it goes inline with the output of the regulator. And the math works: Rectifier/regulator- $40 vs. Stock regulator/add-on rectifier- $3. No stator modification required, either.

Rich

ok guys First thing is I already have it plated, i transfered title over in idaho, i did not buy a kit, i did however buy the blinkers, horn, break switch (banjobolt only way to go) and the blinker/lihgt/horn switch for handlebars for 130 bucks off of ebay from one guy bought it all seperate( oh yeh the flasher thingy to)

however like some of you say about blinkers and whant not you have to rev to get them to really light up. and my horn doesnt really work that well im assuming by the way its acting is becouse of hte voltage, so im gonna have to add the battery and the a complete rewire

i havent read everyones post above yet but i will and ill get this done in next few weeks oh yeh so far the cheapest part of doing the dual sport on my bike is my INSURANCE! its 5 bucks a month and also i rode 80 miles this week and 1.74 gallons off gas!!!!! thanks for your help guys i appreciate it alot. Oh yeh to the guy about the DRZZZZZZZ

one of my riding buddys has on 04 and his brother fallowed suit and bought an 05 the o4 has already had to have the valves replaced and the 05 is waiting on replacement radiators, And my WR400f 2000 yamaha is doing great not to mention i payed 5500 for it brand new

and have only spent 400 so far on dual sporting it thats 5900 dollars and its a better bike then the DRZZZZZZZZZ

just rippin on the DRZ for fun they are good bikes and i rode both my buddies bikes the 04 and the 05 and i can say for myself i do not like the egornomics of them and i prefer my yamahammer!

Rich,

Do you really think I have all the time to be on Thumper Talk and LIE to you.

Dale

Come on guys don't fight over me! Seriously I am an electrical engineer by profession and I suspect Dale's background is similar. In my earlier posts I was trying to point out a method to build a robust reliable system. Can you do it different ways - absolutely! Will it be as reliable or will it provide a good, clean electrical supply for various electronic goodies (gps, etc) you might want to add - maybe. That's the great thing about thumpertalk - if you don't like someones advice you are free to go do it your own way. The last thing I would do would be to acuse Dale of being motivated to mislead you to get a sale. From what I've seen he's the most reputable guy out there.

yeh to all off you guys its not what one guy tells me to do its what i feell im capabale of doing on my bike with you'alls tips suggestions, and experience. And its all appreciated. the only thing i have to take with a grain off salt is those dang suzuki guys spawning off into the wr yamaha posts cause they all got the same problem and one that owns a drz has figured it to replace there problem with a yamahamer!!!! lol

hey guys i did figure out i want to buy an extra set off rims for my wr so i can have streets and street gearing on one setup and my knobs on the other that will be alot easier then switching from one to the other on the same rim! (not to mention allt he countless tubes i put holes in during the process

yeh to all off you guys its not what one guy tells me to do its what i feell im capabale of doing on my bike with you'alls tips suggestions, and experience.

Sometimes it is just one guy you want to listen too for advice on the internet. I've already had experience with TDS (Dale) and know I can trust him, he says PDB knows what hes talking about thats good enough for me. So now I have two people I'll listen too for electrical advice (and yes PDB, Dale has an impressive EE background).

As for the Blue Bike vs Yellow (or white) Bike, I've got to agree that the Yammie is alot funner and friendlier. Little more trouble to D/S but worth the time.

richinorlando

as you live near the magic kingdom, you may be used to the mickey mouse route on somethings, for the rest of us, id stay with the tds kits, as they are the most advancd, reliable, and lightest on the market.

dale offers plenty of free advice and sets up the dc conversion for his customers, and then they enjoy a trouble free system from then on.

sounds like your wife may have run off with a dual sport kit salesmen or something, as you seem to have a dislike for people who might know more about the subject.

skullhat

You dual sport kit sellers are in the business of making money so you will tell us anything whether or not it's true.

Rich, tonight a beautiful woman is going to sneak into your bedroom, take off all her clothes, and tell you to do things. Listen to her. She's going to tell you to send all your money to me. She'll leave a note in case you forget by morning. :banghead:

I have been running this system since january or so on my xr no problems whatsoever runs off of a 25 amp rectifier i picked up for $4.95 at radioshack and 10 aa rechargeable batteries i picked up at a dollar store 1.2 v each. The signal lights should be wired as shown herewiring.jpg

richinorlando

as you live near the magic kingdom, you may be used to the mickey mouse route on somethings...

That is the most original thought I have heard all week. How long did it take you to come up with that?

LOSER!

Sheep!