Sign in to follow this  

cam chain and tensiner question?

I am redoing my sons xr 100an ol boy at work gave me a jug it has been bored out to second bore.He thinks my camchaintensioner needs replaced along with the cam chain.What do you folks think.he says that the more compression will be hard on the chain.The tensiner has a cople of groves in it.do you folks think it will be alright for awhile.Can one of these be had cheaper through a used parts dealer?or any suggestions?

booger

Check your tensioner for signs of wear and tear. Mainly thin spots or cracks. Grooves are normal. When you put your chain on, see how far you need to turn the adjuster to get it tight. Also, check you cylinder for signs of chain slap. If there is a groove in you cylinder, check your chain for excessive wear or kinks. If you see anything that makes you wonder, than get a new chain. Check your cam sprocket, cam, and cam journals.

The piston won't make any difference on the cam chain in your case. It won't even be a noticable power increase. If you replace the parts, do yourself a favor and buy new ones. You can get aftermarket chain, but tensioner will have to be OEM.

Thanks once again folks!!!!I will wait a little bit on the cam chain and the tensioner.

booger