Sign in to follow this  

Cycle News Poll

I was looking on cycle news and they had a poll that asked which bike out of all of the 2006 250fs intrests you the most. No. 1 is the KTM and No. 2 is the Honda. I myself don't understand this. I can understand the KTM but the Honda? The only thing special about that bike is the twin pipes. The Yamaha and the the Kawasaki are completely new bikes for 2006 for crying out loud. Whats up with this? Why is everyone so in love with Hondas?

From what I have read the Honda handles a lot better with the dual pipe setup. That would be guess for why it is so high on the list is supposedly the greatly improved handling. I'm still a Yamaha man though.

It does not have dual pipes. It has dual mufflers it still has one head pipe and two mufflers.

Levels off the bike better. Thats what Honda's goal was to get better handling, not so much to lower sound.
Who fed you that? It's simply a low tech way to reduce sound by using smaller muffler cores. Using two instead of one keeps the back pressure down to a reasonable level.

I've heard the dual silencers don't even make it that much quieter. I heard the main benefit was that the sound waves didn't carry as far with the dual silencers. :banghead::applause: I guess the aftermarket will tell us what is best. If we see all the aftermarket companies come out with single pipe conversions for the 06 CRF250, then we'll know it was just a marketing ploy. On the other hand, if we start seeing twin pipe conversions for the Yamaha's and Kawasuki's, then we'll know there is something to it.

about 3 weeks ago i said the hot x-mas item was gonna be a SINGLE exhaust (at a mere $799) for the 06 red valve eater. i'm still betting short hairs on that.

this will be a significantly cheaper product than the $1299 dual carbon fiber or $999 dual titanium offerings that are sure to come out.

dual silencers will go the way of the 23" front and 20" front, but in a shorter time frame.

plus, if you are really smart, you'll notice the 450r does NOT have dual silencers, so the whole sound thing is totally bogus along with the "balanced weight". honda's already proved it.

Why is everyone in love with Honda?

It is what I call "Honda Hypnosis"... :applause:

The Hypnotized chant goes like this, "I loved my Honda CT70, Honda can do no wrong, $600 valve job every 6 months is OK because I own a Formula 1 engine in my CRF". :banghead:

Well Honda owners sorry to inform you, but Steel Sprung Valves and carburetor on your CRF250R is not F1 technolgy.

When you see dozens of TT polls consistantly showing 30% major failure on CRF250s, it can't help but confirm the "Honda Hypnosis" theory...

Honda did not acknowledge to change anything in the valvetrain for 06, so the Valve Adjustment/Replacement Questions on the CRF TT forum will remain to be a busy place...

Of course, don't expect the Magazine Guys to say a peep about Valve problem. The ad dollars do a handy job of silencing the truth.

So, about the Dual Mufflers...

Its a crock of @#&*...

If Honda believes its own talking points that "Dual mufflers balances the bike, then expect to see the 07 Honda CRFs with Dual Chain Drives, Dual Rear Disc Brakes, Dual Clutch packs, centered carburetor, dual front discs, dual kill buttons, dual petcocks, dual Kickstarters ...

From what I read in some of the bike mags: the dual cans are shorter than one single can. The weight of the mufflers is therefore shifted forward a bit to help with center of gravity.

Not sure that would be a big difference BUT they were also pointing out (I think also on the Honda) that they rotated the motor forward by like 1.5 degrees, which moves the center of mass of the motor around 5mm. they seemed to feel that this made a noticeable difference in the center of gravity and handling. Perhaps every little thing does help.

I think it is commendable for them to be trying to reduce noise (while keeping performance). That's something we all need to worry about or else we're going to be worried more about not having anyplace to ride thanks to the 'no access' crowd....

Innovation is good. Will dual exhausts be the wave of the future? Only time will tell, but I'm glad manufacturers are trying new things instead of selling us the same old stuff all the time. Competition between manufacturers is why we have these high tech, high speed, high fun-factor 4 strokes to begin with. I'd hate to see everyone sit on their asses and wait for the 'other guy' to come up with new tech. Honda's innovation attempts will just inspire Yamaha to try harder. That's a big win for us.

Honda=Gay

Dual mufflerss means double the weight. It also means double the cost when you want to switch to an aftermarket pipe. If twin mufflers was a good idea why would aftermarket companies come out with a single pipe conversion. And if it was any good yamaha would have come out with it last year. Anyways though don't you think honda should fix their valve problem before they try anything else new. Just my thoughts on the matter

how in the world do you guys know Honda DIDN'T fix their valve problem with the new more durable seats?? Have you heard of 1 failure yet on an 06'?? I haven't. Also, what aftermarket company has come out with a single pipe conversion?? I would have to say there is ALOT of straw grasping going on here!!

How do dual mufflers make it handle better.? :banghead:

It doesn't. The idea is to bring some symmetry to the bike, but how can you do that on a bike that has no symmetry to begin with? Dirt bikes, by their very nature, have always been asymmetrical. You have a swingarm that has a heavy chain and sprocket on one side, and a lighter brake caliper and rotor on the other. An engine with a heavy oil-laden clutch and it's reciprocal mass on one side and a light exhaust system on the other. Handlebars with a heavy throttle and front brake reservoir on the right, and a lighter clutch lever assembly on the left. It's almost impossible to balance a bike perfectly and given the mechanical differences in the way we ride, a few ounces or even pounds isn't going to make much difference. For instance, Left turns will always be easier than right turns because we can use our rear brake to slide the rear end around while using the left leg as a pivot. Having a balanced dual exhaust is not going to change that. You would need a complete redesign of the bike, one that distributes all the weight evenly to the bike's vertical centerline, for it to have much of an effect on handling. Raising or lowering the center of gravity has definite benefits, but balancing out left and right with a dual exhaust system is likely to be just a sales gimmick.

Why I don't think HONDA fixed their VALVE PROBLEM:

As far as HONDA fixing their valve problem, who knows if they fixed it.

NONE of the many HONDA press releases have said a word on VALVETRAIN IMPROVEMENTS, so this is why there probably is NO CHANGES. Surely HONDA would have claimed some improvement if they figured it out. :applause:

Give it a few weeks and you'll start to see the, "HOW DO I CHECK MY VALVE CLEARANCE" and "my bike is hard to start" under the CRF250 Forum sections... :banghead:

Dual Mufflers:

FMF did it right with 2 short cans AND making it quieter.

HONDA has 2 long mufflers, yet from many reviews the HONDA dual muffler is NO QUIETER, HEAVIER and took other LIGHTER PARTs to compensate for the added weight.

Mufflers get quieter by increased internal Volume and it is MORE WEIGHT EFFICIENT to make a LARGE single can muffler than 2 short mufflers.

You need to re-read their press release!! Updated valve seat material has been plastered all over their releases for the 250f and 450f. And as far as the muffler's go...ummm, they are 2 SHORT mufflers, NOT 2 long ones!! Please try to post correct info there Mr. will-burr.

I was looking on cycle news and they had a poll that asked which bike out of all of the 2006 250fs intrests you the most. No. 1 is the KTM and No. 2 is the Honda. I myself don't understand this. QUOTE]

It's easy to understand. There are a lot of Red Lemmings in the world.

Hey GrunkThump,

I didn't realize YOU were such a major fan of the RBC. Hmmmm, that rhymes, "Fan of the Red Beer Can".. :applause:

Anyways, I think you REALLY need to just go buy one, but make sure to report back here when you are as cheezed as "I" was with that one I had. :banghead:

NOT a major fan Bazooka...just like to make sure people have their facts straight, that's all.

GrunkThump,

Yeah, no doubt a bunch of these guys are jumping on the anti-Honda bandwagon again. Well, actually most of them have never been OFF the bandwagon, ME included. :lol:

Regarding the double barker RBC.... I dunno, they have one at the local dealer. While I was there, the bike's owner had it running and we revved the crap out of it for a sound test. It might be somewhat quieter, but NOT a whole bunch quieter, and certainly NO where near the level of a Q4's 96db.

Regarding the sales talk, RADRick says it very well. :banghead:

As to why aftermarket pipe makers are building double barkers.... VERY simple answer: To SELL them to those DAes who think they'll need a new double-barker to go fast. At double the money, those double barks are going to add a LOT of green to the bottom line. :banghead: