Sign in to follow this  

2001 KTM 300 EXC for $3100 good deal? have pic

Hey guys just got rid of the DRZ and shopping around some. Tossing around the idea of various bikes for what I like to do which is

Mostly trail riding, easy to very difficult including Moab type stuff!!

hill climbing and general riding

every once in a looong while maybe some dunes riding

Im not into getting big air or hauling ass down a dessert trail or road cause though IM willing to take some risks my job depends on my mobility. No injuries if possible. I like the 4 stroke but really miss the 2 stroke and was seriously considering the kdx220 as I have ridden one and know they are good trail bikes. My question is that the KTM dealers say that the 300EXC is the better equivalent of the KDX for trail riding. I like it and think it will haul my 200lb frame around better. I found one on consignment at a KTM dealer for $3100. It says low hours and the condition kind of verifies that. Here is real good close up pic, is this a good deal or what? looks clean to me? Though I dont know if that is the original plastics pipe etc or not? are they good trail bikes. Please any feedback appreciated.01_300e.jpg

The KTM is a way better bike than the kdx but that bike is not worth 3100 in my opinion. I would offer him around 2500. The 300 is an awesome trail bike and would haul you around with ease.

I agree with what meat said, It seems to be a nice bike but not for 3100.00. You won't be disappointed with the 300 2 smoke, it's a very good bike. 2500.00 or less would be a good price, bike seems to have the original plastic and pipe for sure from what i can see in the pic, of course in person would be the best way to see that bike, but 3100.00 seems to be steep. Of course if you like it and want to pay that amount well then go for it. Good luck.

I also agree that $3,100 for a bike that is essentially 5 model years old is too much money. I looks in pretty good condition, but I wouldn't pay more than $2,500 for it. Take you time an look around your local paper and the Internet, because there are a ton of great deals out there.

The 300 EXC is one of the best trail bikes ever made. More power than you will ever need with excellent tractable power delivery. I've ridden several KDX 200/220's and their gear ratios are awful. 1st gear is way to low to be usable and, 2nd gear is so high you have to wring it out and drop the clutch to get out of tight situations. Actually the KTM 200 EXC is a better equivalent to the KDX 200/220, and the KTM has much better gear ratios. I have several friends that have KTM 200s and they love them. I had the opportunity to ride a few and at 230 lbs, it still hauls my far arse with ease. The KTM 200 is an excellent woods machine, very light and flickable.

Thanks for the opinions on the price, Ill look around some more.

Comparing to the new price, I thought it was an okay deal. I would actually prefer to buy a new one if I was sure that was the bike for me to keep for awhile. I made a mistake with the DRZ S buying it new and selling it after only two summers of riding it. Took about a $2200 loss on it, granted got a ton of riding time on it both dirt and street.

I bought mine about 8 months ago for 3500, but it had way more mods and was able to plate it in CA so it was worth it to me. I'd offer him 2500$ and see what he says.

After some more research, I might just offer $2500 Monday and see what happens. I put my bike up for $3500 and thought it was worth that but ended up taking $3000

You know, that bike looks very clean in the photo. No boot rubbing marks on the subframe, no dents in the exhaust, no major diggers on the swingarm. It also looks very stock, no handguards or skidplate. So its probably been well maintained and not abused, which I feel is worth a lot if you're buying a used bike. Better than buying a bike that someone rode the crap out of and then dressed it up to sell. Life's too short to worry about a couple of hundred bucks! :banghead:

I paid $2000 for mine last year, it is a $2000, and had many after market add ons. Bark busters, skid plate, FMF Turbine II, ee slave guard, disk guard, suspension upgrade, blah blah. But it wan't in as good of shape as that one appears to be. You would need a couple things to get it in woods condition. THat one is bone stock

Durango dave makes a good point though. I wouldn't let a couple hundred $$ mean the difference in taking it home or not. Do some searching and see what you can find. But the exc can be tough to find sometimes, I had to have mine shipped from NY.

You know, that bike looks very clean in the photo. No boot rubbing marks on the subframe, no dents in the exhaust, no major diggers on the swingarm. It also looks very stock, no handguards or skidplate. So its probably been well maintained and not abused, which I feel is worth a lot if you're buying a used bike. Better than buying a bike that someone rode the crap out of and then dressed it up to sell. Life's too short to worry about a couple of hundred bucks! :banghead:

True story and the sad part is, the only thing really holding me back is the year of it. The other KTM bikes next to it are 03 and 04's and they look like crap, torn up seats, wear marks from boots, dings, scratches and just generally look like they have been ridden hard.

Whats the deal with KTM talk. You have to register? I tried to get on there just to look at threads and it wouldn't let me view anything?? I really want to see some more input/opinions regarding the 300EXC and trail riding, What about MOab type riding is that bike good for that kind of stuff?