Sign in to follow this  

Arizona National Forest Service Rangers are denying motorcycle access....

I just received an email from the organizer of the Red Rock National about this issue. He has not cancelled it yet but indicated there would be an update coming. I think he's working to try and resolve the issue. Hopefully he will be succesful. I guess maybe DS promoters will just have to become map/roll chart vendors and not actually organize an event. There is no permit required if you and a few of your friends go for a ride following a map you purchased (wink...wink).

I just received an email from the organizer of the Red Rock National about this issue. He has not cancelled it yet but indicated there would be an update coming. I think he's working to try and resolve the issue. Hopefully he will be succesful. I guess maybe DS promoters will just have to become map/roll chart vendors and not actually organize an event. There is no permit required if you and a few of your friends go for a ride following a map you purchased (wink...wink).

Exactly. I've been working with Greg the last couple to days. You should have received an email last night about how we are going to do the ride outside the sponsorship of Motolink and in a way that doesn't require a permit. If you didn't get it PM your email address.

But know this: the ride is ON! :banghead:

LATEST from BRC

Dear BRC members, supporters and Action Alert Subscribers,

Many BRC members have been calling and emailing us to find out what the latest news is regarding the recent order by a federal court requiring the U.S. Forest Service to comply with public notice and appeal timelines when processing actions under a Categorical Exclusion (CEs).

The court order is a result of the lawsuit; Earth Island Institute v. Ruthenbeck, filed by the following anti-recreation groups: the Earth Island Institute, Sequoia ForestKeeper, Heartwood, Center for Biological Diversity, and the Sierra Club against a timber project on the Sequoia National Forest.

Pasted below is the media release we sent on the CE mess. At that time, I wrote: “The effects of the decision are not yet completely understood and it will take some time to fully assess a strategy of action. BRC remains committed to protecting recreational access to public lands and will be watching the situation closely.”

A strategy is being formed 'as we speak', and our best minds are working on it. We are in contact with FS and administration officials, the Department of Justice and other national OHV groups. We have been told that the DOJ is reviewing the situation for possible appeal, and BRC’s legal team is also assessing appeal options.

The ruling potentially affects hundreds of projects throughout the country. CE’s are used to approve all sorts of projects ranging from trail maintenance activities to timber operations. Many group activities, such as Boy Scout campouts and jamboree’s are approved with CE’s along with 4x4 club runs or charity events. Most Operating Plans for backcountry ski Yurt’s and even major Ski areas are processed via CE’s. In some areas, snowmobile grooming operations are approved via CE’s. OHV events ranging from Enduro’s to Dual Purpose Motorcycle (street legal) tours are approved via CE’s.

Sadly, the court ruling has resulted in the cancellation of many such projects, including the popular “49er Enduro,” sponsored by AMA’s District 36 and the Capital City Enduro, sponsored by the Tallahassee Trail Riders. The ruling even resulted in the cancellation of an adopt-a-trail project on the Gila National Forest in New Mexico. As a result of these cancellations, many BRC members are inquiring what to do if they have an event or adopt a trail approved by a CE.

It is reasonable to assume this ruling will be moderated in one form or another; however those efforts may take time. If your group has activities planned in the next six to eight months that would normally be approved by CE’s, BRC recommends you proceed as though the ruling will remain in effect.

In order that your activity receives approval in time, our advice is that you insist the FS process the CE under the new notice and appeal guidelines and don't let them waste a minute doing it. Consider asking the agency to do a multi-year environmental assessment for the event. Delay of OHV Club activities, or needed trail maintenance activities, only serve the interests of our adversaries. Do whatever you need to do to get the work done.

BRC will notify you as soon as we learn more.

Brian Hawthorne

BlueRibbon Coalition

208-237-1008 ext 102