Sign in to follow this  

Croom enduro

I'm going to sign up this afternoon and we can meet at the same spot in Hammock Day use area. Race starts at 9, riders meeting a 830, so I'll be there around 730ish

Okay, the next question is "Of those that went to the Enduro, who finished the enduro?"

I was Super Senior C and dropped 98 points. This put me about 5th in a class of 18. (came in 13 minutes late on the 2nd loop) Most the the old farts in my class did not even finish all 64 miles.

I am sore today :banghead:

that was the hardest thing I have ever done. I dropped out after the first lap, couldn't take it anymore. Those trees where starting to become too friendly :banghead: . I felt really bad for one guy, looked to be in his mid 40's or so, we started the race and not even 500 yards on the coarse he smacked into a tree, bike went end over end and slammed him into it with his shoulder. I was positive he broke it, was on the ground in a lot of pain, I yelled back to the starting gate and hoped they heard me.

It was awesome terrain to ride on the other side of the fence at Croom, never expected those big drop offs on the other side of the hills we had to climb, almost crapped myself a couple times. I now know the meaning behind "Enduro", get my fat lazy arse off the couch and start to run, holy crap.

At least I can say I attempted an Enduro and more knowledgable of them.

I rode that enduro as well. That made hare scrambles look easy in comparison. I bounced off a few trees as well, and saw more than a few people "cooked" on the course. I started to ride the second lap, got 2 miles into it and called it a day. I'm as sore as i've ever been,

The terrain was fun. It's not often you get elevation (albeit slight) changes in FL.

Okay guys now you've got my attention.

1. Any MX bikes riding that? (I got a big tank that I use for HS)

2. How long was the course?

3. Where was the start? Inside Croom and then you guys went out?

DonO up for a challenge

Don :banghead:

Don,

Here's the deal.

Two 32 mile loops with a 30minute rest/refuel between each one (30 min rest if you are on time, every minute you fall behind in the 1st loop subtracts from your rest). There are two "resets" per loop of about 4 to 10 minutes each which allow a break IF YOU ARE ON TIME. If not, you got less rest or as in my case, just keep on riding.

If you stay on time (average 24mph), 1st loop would take 1 hr 58 min and 2nd loop would take 1 hr 40 min. I finished the 1st loop about 10min behind and the 2nd loop 13 minutes behind. So it took be about 4hrs to ride 64 miles. (can you say monkey butt).

I saw lots of MX bikes. 3 guys in my row (5 bikes per row) had CRF's with battery powered globe nightlights glued (or screwed) to the front numberplate.

Even saw some MX bikes with stock silencers.

Unlike H/S, A and AA riders can be behind you at the start. It is very impressive to see how fast these guys go through the woods. They are literally out of sight within seconds of passing you.

I would agree with previous posts that enduros are much harder than a H/S. This was my 2nd one, I only did 40 of 60 miles on the 1st one, so there was lots of satisfaction just finishing.

Mark 115B Super Senior

Don, the word to me was that if the flyer says the bike needs to appear street legal, then you can get by with just a makeshift headlight. Be it a flashlight or what ever. I think there is 2 more enduros this season that have that stipulation, the others require the bike to actually be street legal or are out of state. The big thing is a spark arrestor, that is a must have.

Mark/Phil,

ThanX for the insight and I thought the bike had to have some kind of light and I also thought it had to be "street" legal. I would love to do one but puttin' a light (a makeshift one I could make) on my baby just ain't gonna happen. Were you guys riding in the dark at all????

Maybe someone who is to skeered to ride one will lend me his bike :banghead:

Don :banghead:

I bought a $10 bicycle handlebar light and was going to mount it on the crossbar. That was supposedly good enough.

There is supposedly a big difference between being street legal, and appearing street legal. I talked to one of the phone contact guys for croom, and he said as long as there was a headlight of some sort, (and he didnt say this :banghead: ) even a flashlight would do.

half the bikes in this endure where mx bikes, I seen all kinds of flashlights zip tied down to the front fender, none of them where on. I also seen guys with just your typical wheel reflector fastened to the back fender. There was a guy going around with a probe testing exhausts for a spark arrestor. I think I say a couple Honda's and few Yamaha's but the majority of the bikes where KTM, it was a sea of orange for sure.

Don, you could get away with the same stuff if they did. I guess it needs to appear to work, not too many of the bikes headlights where working and believe me I seen a lot of them when they passed me in the woods :banghead: . You would love it Don. I got to the first rest stop and row 27 and 28 where pulling up when I got there, I was row 8. Great sight seeing tour I had of the forbidden Croom. :banghead: