Sign in to follow this  

Do you yell at your kids while riding ??

A few months ago I had a realization. I have two boys, 7 and 9 yrs. old. We started riding together as a family about 3 years ago, including my wife. I used to get pissed off at my boys when they were afraid to do some certain obstacle or did not go "fast" enough. After a couple years of doing this, neither one of my sons was all that jacked about going riding. It sort of dawned on me that, "why would they want to go when all you do is yell and bitch at them?" Needless to say, the last 6 months or so, I just tell them before we go, If you guys don't want to do any hard trails, it's okay with me and i quit yelling completely. We have so much more fun and my blood pressure doesn't even go up. Now they are buggin' me nearly everyday, asking "When are we goin' riding again dad?" For the last three months I have been working weekends so unless I take them out of school for the day, it's hard to find a day that we can all ride. I will be back on weekdays starting in January and I can't wait. Anybody have a similar experience?? :banghead::applause:🤣🤣

I went riding with a buddy of mine a couple months back in Hungry Valley...I saw a group of two dads, two sons, and a daughter were riding around some of the little trails around camp. Well, all but one of the sons didn't want to go up a little hill (too scared). The dad literally started yelling at the kid telling him to go and the kid just started crying right there. The dad just kept it up until the kid went up the hill. I literally felt like going over and kicking that dads ass. That made me so mad. Why yell at a kid that is scared to do something? That incident pissed me off for the rest of the day...

I went riding with a buddy of mine a couple months back in Hungry Valley...I saw a group of two dads, two sons, and a daughter were riding around some of the little trails around camp. Well, all but one of the sons didn't want to go up a little hill (too scared). The dad literally started yelling at the kid telling him to go and the kid just started crying right there. The dad just kept it up until the kid went up the hill. I literally felt like going over and kicking that dads ass. That made me so mad. Why yell at a kid that is scared to do something? That incident pissed me off for the rest of the day...

I know...I never got quite as bad as that dad, but I know what your saying. I'm glad I saw the error of my way. We have so much fun now. I guess part of it was that I was trying to live vicariously through my kids....never really a great idea if your putting undue burdens on them !!

I was kind of like you but probably not to that extent. You simply want to enjoy spending time with your kids and do that while riding. ITs frustrating when you are in a group and they wont follow you up a hill or something to go to a further point but in hind site I would rather have a cautious kid? Single track trails up in the wood can be frustrating at times, you just have to pick and choose your riding areas based on experience.

What really pisses me off is dads at the races yelling at there kids. It is like just because your FAT ASS never made it racing you don't have to yell at your kid to make up for you'r FAT ASS failing. Let your kid have some fun.

It all depends on the kid i guess most of the dads at the track acting like that well it was probley because there dad never boght them a bike for that and never liked it so he just probley wants the best for them and wants him to win inleast thats what i try to think ... so yeah sometimes there dicks but imm biger then my dad and stronger so if my dad yells about a laptime i just say ok lets talk about it and if he yells i just ride off and he stops yelling and sez sry.

The only excuse for yelling is if someone is doing something dangerous that is going to immediately cause harm.

Dirt biking is for fun. How fun is getting yelled at? :banghead:

I taught skiing and coached mogul skiing at the top levels. Kids who develop a love for the sport and want to improve, do improve. The motivation must come from within. "If it jams, force it" tends to break things and people's spirits.

Find a really good rider (that isn't you) to show some hot riding. Someone who is patient enough to help them improve. Not someone who shows off and blasts away like the lone ranger, but will do some small but amazing tricks, then stop and listen to what they want to know. They will ask how to improve. When I had an unruley ski school class, I'd just throw a quick 360 helicopter off a bump while the class was following. Suddenly they started paying attention.

I saw a trials rider do a 3 point turn on a single track. Awesome move. Motivated me to copy him. Still trying.

When I first started riding my dad would get pretty pissed if i did something stupid or was not riding the bike right. But he never yelled at me for not goin fast or doing certain obstacles, i think he respected the comfort level kind of thing.

My dad would wait at the top of the hill.

If I felt there was a slight possibility I'd get pissed and gun it right past.And do the hill everytime we went to it.🤣

If I was afraid I'd shake my head and he'd come down and I'd get pissed and ride on his a$$ the rest of the ride.🤣

I think me being a psycho made me a much better rider. :applause:

Now i do the same with my friend but there isn't any hills he'll try that I won't do.

Thanks for not being a d!ck dad :banghead:

A few months ago I had a realization. I have two boys, 7 and 9 yrs. old. We started riding together as a family about 3 years ago, including my wife. I used to get pissed off at my boys when they were afraid to do some certain obstacle or did not go "fast" enough. After a couple years of doing this, neither one of my sons was all that jacked about going riding. It sort of dawned on me that, "why would they want to go when all you do is yell and bitch at them?" Needless to say, the last 6 months or so, I just tell them before we go, If you guys don't want to do any hard trails, it's okay with me and i quit yelling completely. We have so much more fun and my blood pressure doesn't even go up. Now they are buggin' me nearly everyday, asking "When are we goin' riding again dad?" For the last three months I have been working weekends so unless I take them out of school for the day, it's hard to find a day that we can all ride. I will be back on weekdays starting in January and I can't wait. Anybody have a similar experience??🤣🤣🤣🤣

For you Rekless :banghead::applause:🤣

I read a great "open letter" in a mini MX mag recently from a kid to his father. The letter was basically the kid reminiscing about his childhood and riding and how he was never able to satisfy his dad. The rub was that the kid wasn't going on about what a jerk his dad was..he was apologizing to his dad for not being the best racer, jumper, etc and for disappointing his dad. Made the dad look really bad and it made it obvious that the kid wouldn't have started hating riding by his early teens if the dad had just "let him ride".

I have a 7 yr old and a 4 yr old both riding. The 4 year old is showing incredible mx potential. After about a month, he's already a better rider than I was at 7. However, I am going to let him set the pace so that I don't burn him out on me or the sport.

Again, Rekless, good job!!!

My dad hasn't ever yelled at me riding :banghead:. Mainly b/c I'd do about anything on my dirt bike :applause:. (Nothing to dangerous) Although my dad does yell at me and trust me.. I yell back. It's just when we're both stressed and ticked off.ONly time we yell tho is when we aren't riding. I hope my dad gets a bike so we can actualy ride together at a track or something.

My dad yelled at me but it wasnt like crazy little league dad stuff it was more of like cmon you wussy i know you can clear that table

I also have a 6 yr old that has been riding since he was 2. Sometimes its hard not to get angry when they screw up after being told a 100 times. For instance, my son switched from a pw50 to crf50. Brakes an foot now and he keeps grabbing the front brake and putting both feet down trying to stop. Told him that he will crash everytime if he keeps this up. So i finally got pissed about it and took the front brake lever off. Now he has to use the foot brake or splat. Hes getting pretty good with it and and i don't have to yell anymore for him to use it. Its all in how we are raised!

you can clear that table

let me put it this way, the only time my dad would say something like this is after dinner... (he wouldnt know &%$#@! a table is) He didnt ride until I got into it and he will take me and my friends and maybe just go on a real easy ride with us (hes not very good) but i think it is fun having my dad along side :banghead: cuz he just works so much spendin a sunday with him is meant for fun, not yelling and bitching about stuff

What really pisses me off is dads at the races yelling at there kids. It is like just because your FAT ASS never made it racing you don't have to yell at your kid to make up for you'r FAT ASS failing. Let your kid have some fun.
Back about 7-8 years ago, I was down at Sunshine State Raceway in Florida at a night race. We'd pitted over by the mini track for the munchkins.

I'd finished my first round of racing and went back to the pits to cool off and then went over to watch the micro kids ride the track. It was all pretty cool except for one large-arsed fat headed dad that did nothing but scream at his poor little kid, who was maybe 6? - and the yelling wasn't nice by any stretch of the imagination:

During the race, the dad was running along side the course screaming crap and as the kid pulled off the track he started in with "You little shit! What the F's wrong with you!?! You took Second and got beat. I shouldn't have ever let you ride, you're worthless - you HAVE to win". I remember him saying this like it was yesterday, because it amazed me that ANYONE would talk that way to their kid.

The poor kid was afraid to get anywhere near his dad as he came off the track.

I stood there in absolute amazement, along with half a dozen moms - we'd all been watching and commenting among ourselves on his pin-headed behavior.

None of us could believe what we were hearing. (nor could we believe that ANYONE at the track would allow this sort of shit) I couldn't handle it anymore as the kid went past dad, crying, back toward the pits with Dad in tow, still screaming.

I still had all my gear on (except my helmet) - so I had slightly larger balls than usual (I'm NOT confrontational by any stretch of the imagination), so I walked toward the guy - who was quite a bit larger than I am - and got right in his path.

"What the hell is wrong with you!?!? I pointed at my bike and told him: "There's my bike - go put your fat ass on it and when you can get out there on the track and beat the A-riders, then MAYBE you have the ability to be a dick about winning, but you are NOT going to do this shit in front of all these people."

He sort of stopped and looked at me like "Who the hell are you?" (and he was right - who was I to do this?) and then started bitching at me. I just held my ground and told him that he was a dick and that his actions were not tolerable, nor were they welcome - and I told him that riding was supposed to be FUN, family thing, not a bitch, moan and intimidate session.

I think the only thing that kept him from taking a swing at me was that the majority of the moms that I'd been standing near, and now a couple of the dads too, were now standing behind me, backing me up.

It scared the hell out of me, but he'd crossed the line big time and I was pissed and willing to get hit to give this poor little kid some relief from dickhaid dad.

There is NEVER a reason to yell at a kid unless they've done something totally stupid and dangerous and you're attempting to get their attention. Once you do get their attention, then TALK to them in as calm a manner as you can. (which can be hard... I have two daughters that test me from time to time)

I don't recall what he did after I confronted him - shook me up pretty bad, but I HAD to say something to him, as he was completely out of line.

I still wonder if that poor kid's living under that tyrant's rule.

I'd love to give him a bit of 450R stone spray...

It's funny you talk about this.Today we were at the track my self my 9 yr old a buddy and his 7 yr old.Our kids have been riding a long time so they are pretty quick,my son pulls off for a break and some water and about that time we hear another dad just cursing the daylites out of his kid!!!I mean it was BAD!How worthless he was letting two little kids beat him.Calling him a stupid little prick and a LOT worse!A little later in the day my sons says "dad that kid fell can we help him"so we run down there and the kid is laying under his bike,I pick it up off him and we start to talk it was his 2nd time on that bike!!I try to tell him he is doing good when his ******* dad walks up. he says "I guess you busted ur a## again,you don't even deserve a bike!Then I try to tell him that the kid hurt his foot,he didn't care a bit he said get on the $^$# bike and ride it!I then told him our kids had been riding a long time and his boy was doing good for his 2nd trip.He didn't want to hear it so I let it go,but I wanted to put my size 9 tech 10's up his arse!!!!

i cant stand dads like that instead of giving advise trying to help them get better they are to busy yelling at their kids it disgusts me

The only time my dad yells at me is when i wont do something that he knows i need to do to improve as a rider, just because im being stubborn and dont feel like it. And thats only in practice. At the races he doesnt give me any advise and doesnt make me change how i ride, he saves it for practice. Besides, sometimes the only way to get me to do stuff is if you piss me off.

Its not usually about jumps and stuff, i do those, its about doing drills in practice, practicing starts, trying different lines even if theyre not as fast.....basically the non-fun practice stuff i dont enjoy doing. Thats when he yells.

My son first rode when he was 8-9, then he said "dad, I don't wanna ride anymore". It kinda broke my heart, but it was because he was in over his head a wee bit. He didn't like all the gearing up and wearing all that stuff, and when he outgrew the xr 70, the xr 100 had a clutch. So we dropped it. Then when he was 13 , he said he'd like to try it again. I got him a kdx 200 and he rides better every time we go out. He apologizes when he drops it or messes up, and I tell him it's ok, and I just point out the same mistakes that the 'vets' make. It won't be long before he'll want a race bike and be roosting me. We ride trails and it's hard to start out and find trails that arn't too hard. But I've managed and he asks me to go riding now. I hope we can ride together a long time.

The moto world is full of jackass dads, I see them all the time and cant stand it.

One thing I have noticed is that the jerk dads are allways yelling at there kids from the side of the track or from the lawn chair at the riding area. I allways think, where is your bike dad, do you even know how to ride? My son is 10, the only time I yelled at him is when he wasn't paying attention to other riders (he was almost taken out by a quad). We allways ride together, In the year that he has been riding I have found that he has advaced a lot just my watching what I do. You should see the way the little dude was hitting the woops today, full throttle leaning back and skiming, just like dad, I am so proud.