Sign in to follow this  

Tire pressure question

I am a little confused, as I read that the 28 psi front/ 30 psi rear tire pressure is the tire pressure for racing stuff, with downside the easier wear of the tire. What is the best performance-wise pressure? What is the best for longer life of the tire?

It all depends on what tire, what size, where you ride, how you ride, street use, track use? I take it you are asking about SM. You want the tire to heat up but not too much. Experiment. There is no single answer. I'd say your numbers are about right for a starting place.

I run 22 front & back and I don't get pinch flats on the worst of the rocky trails around here.

He must be talking about an SM model (higher tire pressures). I've been told by track day techs that a 10% increase is what you want between cold and hot pressures (sport street/track tires). So if you run 30# cold, your pressure should be 33# when you come off the track (measure it immediately). If it increases more than 10%, increase the cold pressure (tire is flexing too much and creating heat). If if increases less than 10%, let some air out as you're not letting the tire flex enough.

He must be talking about an SM model (higher tire pressures). I've been told by track day techs that a 10% increase is what you want between cold and hot pressures (sport street/track tires). So if you run 30# cold, your pressure should be 33# when you come off the track (measure it immediately). If it increases more than 10%, increase the cold pressure (tire is flexing too much and creating heat). If if increases less than 10%, let some air out as you're not letting the tire flex enough.

THIS IS IT.......the exact meaning.

the best thing to use as your record

stock tire pressure is for tire life

Thank you for putting the exact answer I have used for the last 20 year.

:banghead::applause: